• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should a Karateka know other Martial Arts?

Hi Guys,

I've been doing karate now for just over a year and I've just been graded to Purple belt a couple of weeks ago, now that I've got a basic grasp of Karate, I feel like I should be exposing myself to other Martial arts while continuing that.

The reason for this is because when/if I get to Shodan, I'd like to be able to say I have experience with other Martial Arts, speak about those arts, and could help any students from that kind of background a bit better.

I particularly like the Idea of Aikido, I realise Karate is a mainly striking art so I feel like the throws, locks etc would really help just from a self defense point of view.

Does anyone think it's a good idea for a Karateka to learn/know about other arts? I'd be interested to know what other people's experience of this is like.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey shotokanan, as far as learning other arts.. I have learned many and a strong reason was I moved around a great deal ever since I was young. I never sought out the same style as it didn't matter, I sought out an instructor I vibe with. I have learned many martial arts and I'm not like many martial artists that have a more pure back round so this question is right up my alley.

First when you say you want to speak about it and help students, are you teaching? Typically this will only help you in my shoes. I opened a school where I blend arts and I'm open about that. If your in a style specific school and plan to use these other arts to help because of a richer back round in other arts, I don't think it will. I think it will be a problem.

What I mean is even arts that are more similar then not, like shotokan and tang soo do do things differently, and although I'm all for the idea of blending to a certain extent to make a better experience, it won't help a tang soo do student with tang soo do specifically, or the other way around. Does this make sense?

Now for your personal knowledge and personal growth I'M ALL FOR IT. Learning different arts not only teaches you a different way of doing things, but exposes you to different cultures and things like this. As an example I learn hung gar Kung fu and it takes me out of my usual Korean back round and gives me a sense of Chinese martial arts culture.

So again my main question is are you teaching for your karate school? I just want to understand whats going on better, thanks!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Hey shotokanan, as far as learning other arts.. I have learned many and a strong reason was I moved around a great deal ever since I was young. I never sought out the same style as it didn't matter, I sought out an instructor I vibe with. I have learned many martial arts and I'm not like many martial artists that have a more pure back round so this question is right up my alley.

First when you say you want to speak about it and help students, are you teaching? Typically this will only help you in my shoes. I opened a school where I blend arts and I'm open about that. If your in a style specific school and plan to use these other arts to help because of a richer back round in other arts, I don't think it will. I think it will be a problem.

What I mean is even arts that are more similar then not, like shotokan and tang soo do do things differently, and although I'm all for the idea of blending to a certain extent to make a better experience, it won't help a tang soo do student with tang soo do specifically, or the other way around. Does this make sense?

Now for your personal knowledge and personal growth I'M ALL FOR IT. Learning different arts not only teaches you a different way of doing things, but exposes you to different cultures and things like this. As an example I learn hung gar Kung fu and it takes me out of my usual Korean back round and gives me a sense of Chinese martial arts culture.

So again my main question is are you teaching for your karate school? I just want to understand whats going on better, thanks!

I totally agree with you about personal knowledge and growth, I feel it will make me a better Martial Artist and more open minded.

I don't run my own Dojo or anything (that would be absurd considering my grade) but I do help to teach basic Shotokan Kata and Kihon under supervision of my Sensei at the Hombu from time to time and have led entire lessons by myself.

We are very Shotokan, we don't typically learn anything that isn't Shotokan, However we've had students who have come from other Martial Arts so I feel if I have at least some experience in other arts, it will help the transition into Shotokan.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

I understand that you want to cross train. There is totally nothing that you want to learn others to understand them better.

There is no timeframe that you should start cross-training. I know many people don't cross-train but they could benefit from it.

I personally do cross-train as I do Karate as my 'home stye' then I also do some BJJ and balintawak arnis to branch out and learn from other MA

I agree with Nidan Melborne here. I will go further and say that you should wait. I think 3rd kyu is a perfect place to start cross-training. That being said, do some research. Look at the kata you have learned and watch other systems do it, look at the way you punch in comparison to other school and you will learn to appreciate the way you do it. You will be better at picking up nuances in your own style by seeing the differences in others.

I think that every martial artist should "know" other styles, whether that be by doing them or researching them. No style claims to be the be-all-end-all, only practitioners do, so it's beneficial to look around.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I'm of the mindset that cross-training shouldn't be started until you (not the OP personally) have a strong foundation of your base MA. In karate, it's typically black belt. I fully agree cross-training will make a person a better MAist. But without having a solid understanding of the foundation of the the base art, you might be selling yourself short, undoing what you're learning, etc. 1 year of any MA is just scratching the surface (yes, same can be said of the typical 4-5 years to shodan). You're past the very basics, but you're still a beginner in a lot of ways. You've gone from crawling to walking unassisted, and it's not yet time to start training to sprint with Hussain Bolt.

I respect those who disagree. I'm not 100% sure that what I've written is the best way to go; it's my opinion based in not seeing it enough times to have a definitive yes or no. And everyone's abilities and learning curve differ. However, I don't think other MAs will disappear any time soon.

As others have said, I agree that cross training is a good thing, but it's best to wait until at least brown belt (although Shodan is even better).

As I read somewhere (can't remember where)-- the man who chases two rabbits at the same time catches neither.

Without a doubt. Understanding other styles will help you understand your own style. If you only learn and train from a single style, you will be limited. People with completely alien training from you will give you a broader understanding and greater appreciation of what you are trying to learn here.

Honestly, though, you've got a pretty good resume on your profile there... I can't help but wonder if you're not looking to crosstrain so much has change styles...

Cross training is a good thing, it really is and I wish I had the time to cross train properly, unfortunately I barely have enough time for my base art at the moment!

However, I have in my time moved about the map of the martial world a little bit, dabbling in different arts here and there. My base art is always likely to be karate in one form or another, I started out in Shotokan and now after many years, study Kyokushin. In my time I have "dabbled" with (by that I mean, when I have moved to another area and not found a suitable karate class, I have trained in others arts - not for what I consider a long time & never graded).

I have dabbled in the following:

Aikido

Wing chun

Judo

Kickboxing

In all honesty, in Kyokushin, I am now using some the BASIC Understanding of Judo and Kickboxing in helping me understand some more specific parts of that style (we do randori and the low kicks etc).

I have learned a lot from my dabbling in other arts, Aikido was of particular benefit in understanding things such as body movement and using the opponents weight, momentum and position to your own benefit. Certainly as I get older and (hopefully eventually get more free time), I aim to cross train properly (More than likely with Aikido again) as I believe that to fully understand any martial art, you need to investigate it's weaknesses as well as strengths.

I see what your saying now shotokanan, maybe it could help you to help students who need to adjust, and is certainly good for your personal growth.

I actually disagree in a large way with many posts here that state you should wait. I DO NOT AT ALL think you should wait a period of time before you adopt another style and training. I didn't do it and I personally felt it was nothing but good. Now let me say this, in a way I teach my own style, but I keep a major foundation in tang so do. I do believe having a strong base makes things less chaotic and, to a certain extent, more effective. I dont think you need to know that right away though and dabbling in the arts is a really great way to see what's best for you.

I respect people's opinion here, and obviously you should do what you feel is best for you, BUT I am absolutely for crosstraining in another style. I believe it has helped me personally in many ways, and to be very open minded about martial arts is just one of the ways.

Good luck whatever you do.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!