• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Re-motivating yourself

It is a common for instructors to be challenged or have issues when trying to motivate students. To motivate others is only possible if the instructor is motivated, but that is not always easy. How does one stay motivated after years of practising, training and teaching? What is effective for pushing oneself to continue each day?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It is a common for instructors to be challenged or have issues when trying to motivate students. To motivate others is only possible if the instructor is motivated, but that is not always easy. How does one stay motivated after years of practising, training and teaching? What is effective for pushing oneself to continue each day?

I met a guy that was a scuba diver for years, he taugh it for years as well, tours and what not. I said "wow cool job"! He said I don't care how much you love what you do, you get tired of it.

I have. Even teaching a relatively small amount of time, around 2 years. Running my own program 9 months. I have already hit points where there's nights I'm much more motivated. I find that when I have a very busy week dealing by with Buisness it's harder for me. What I personally do is find perspective. I live in Arizona, I just realize when it's 117 outside that I was a mechanic for many years in this heat, it only got more annoying as time went by, and I then realize how great I have it with my 2hr and 45 min shift in an air conditioned Rec center. For me keeping perspective is key, but like I said that's from a relatively new instructor.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

I believe that instructors need to take a break once in awhile, even if that means that you close the dojo for a day or for an entire week. That way, you get a fresh new batteries in the old engine from time to time.

Sometimes, you just have to walk away for the moment, to gain a new and fresh look at the whole darn thing.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", and this prevents a renewal in ones motivation, both for the student, as well as for the instructor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I hate to say it but students and instructors alike need goals to work towards. That's why the belt system works ao great as it offers measured progression.

I personally keep myself motivated by competing a lot. Not for everyone but it works for me to have a couple of days in the year to both look forward to but also to work towards. I think when you're motivated in your own training that enthusiasm can rub off on others. If competition is not your thing I also find training semi regularly with my peers and with my seniors or with other styles to keep my training alive and interesting. Can then bring back any new ideas to your students or use them to cement your own knowledge.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Keeping motivated is really hard. I took time off because i was in year 12 and had to do school sport on top of that. But i was so unmotivated it was almost criminal.

But that break did so much for me and i had a different outlook on things.

But i believe instructors should take some time off to recoup and just relax. Tbh i think my sensei needs it because you can tell he is just exhausted (even running on a reduced timetable because of school holidays). He can trust a couple of us senior people to take the classes as we have the experience and knowledge to do so.

Time off can be key to a long martial arts career. In fact it should be mandatory instructors take a few days off every so often, just so they don't get burned out..

I can't agree more. Get off the mat occasionally. It's needed. I used to train every time I was out of town for anything. Now I generally leave my stuff at home and just take time off.

I believe that instructors need to take a break once in awhile, even if that means that you close the dojo for a day or for an entire week. That way, you get a fresh new batteries in the old engine from time to time.

Sometimes, you just have to walk away for the moment, to gain a new and fresh look at the whole darn thing.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", and this prevents a renewal in ones motivation, both for the student, as well as for the instructor.

:)

Yes!! That's what I thought I said like others have on this thread too...take a break!! But, I didn't say it as well as other have on this thread, but still...take a break. Clear your mind!!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!