• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feedback Session: Wado-Ryu kata

Melau

Dear all,

All feedback is welcome. Currently I'm training for Sandan, and while it is possible to find instructors (and I'm training with them, no worries!), extra feedback is always welcome.

Wanshu will be added shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQllc7eXRlk

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Says video is private

Thanks, I think it is fixed now.

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

Hi!

Thanks for posting the kata.

I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to Wado Kata and I don't usually like to comment on kata as I find it is generally a highly subjective matter and what one person thinks is important it not the same as another person etc..

That being said, I noticed your front foot on the back stances is slightly turned inwards and I believe it should point forward?

And near the beginning of the kata (after the first move, you turn and do two mid-level Uke) when you turn back with the left arm doing the outside to inside "block" (move 4), the non-blocking hand does not go all the way back to hip as I believe it should?

Maybe these points help, or maybe they're irrelevant :P

Hi!

Thanks for posting the kata.

I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to Wado Kata and I don't usually like to comment on kata as I find it is generally a highly subjective matter and what one person thinks is important it not the same as another person etc..

That being said, I noticed your front foot on the back stances is slightly turned inwards and I believe it should point forward?

And near the beginning of the kata (after the first move, you turn and do two mid-level Uke) when you turn back with the left arm doing the outside to inside "block" (move 4), the non-blocking hand does not go all the way back to hip as I believe it should?

Maybe these points help, or maybe they're irrelevant :P

As for the foot, that indeed is a point on which I need to put some practice. Well spotted for the hand by the way, I think that it should be consistent as well (not hip, bit higher I was taught).

Gichin Funakoshi

I agree about the front foot on the Shuto-ukes.

I also notice your front foot is not straight on the Yamazukis.

Finally the Kage-uke is Jodan. you appear to have this at Chudan.

The hand positions are small things really, but you do need to work on the front foot / leg being straight. This is more than likely a flexibility issue in the hip.

There is a reason why instructors beast students over it!

All in all not bad though.

K

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Is there a reason that your Yoko Geri just has a 3 count, instead of a 4 count. Your kick stalls, and drops straight to the floor without having to momentarily return back to the knee of the supporting foot?? Because of that, I can't tell if the kick is suppose to be a keage or a kekomi, had I not already knew what that kick was.

Up

Out

Back

Down

The Back part seems to be missing...unless this is the methodology of the style!

Kusotare makes solid observations; I agree!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

just my opinion.

at this point, alot of technical things are just habits and will be hard to correct. You could spend more time on the tempo(not rushing) of the kata and executing each individual movement with more "feeling" and "commitment".

Technical corrections will only correct "ONE/PART of ONE" movement and a kata has thousands of corrections.

If you improve the "commitment", tempo and feeling you will be improving on "every" technique not just "one" of thousands.

interesting knowledge