- Similar to Point Sparring but with a bit more contact

- Takedowns, Throws, Grappling, Chokes etc are allowed

4. 'Go' or Hard Sparring

- Full contact sparring

- We don't do this format with any grade below 1st Kyu

- 1st Kyu are allowed to do it with limited rounds

- Black Belts do it but 5-6 Rounds maximum

I like them, all!!

Do you also train resistive drills with most, if not all, of these types in a deliberate tone or in a passing tone? Passing drills are for learning, while deliberate drills are after learning, and nonetheless, the resistance must be of intent!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In relation to Kumite we have a few types at my dojo:

1. Awase Kumite

- Flowing form of kumite continuously throwing techniques

- Contact should be soft, but not too soft

- A slight variation of Continuous Sparring

- Chance to work on tactics and get used to being hit

2. Point Sparring (WKF Rules)

- Using the WKF Rules

- Use Concepts + Tactics from Awase Kumite

3. 'Jyu' or Light Sparring

- Similar to Point Sparring but with a bit more contact

- Takedowns, Throws, Grappling, Chokes etc are allowed

4. 'Go' or Hard Sparring

- Full contact sparring

- We don't do this format with any grade below 1st Kyu

- 1st Kyu are allowed to do it with limited rounds

- Black Belts do it but 5-6 Rounds maximum

I like them, all!!

Do you also train resistive drills with most, if not all, of these types in a deliberate tone or in a passing tone? Passing drills are for learning, while deliberate drills are after learning, and nonetheless, the resistance must be of intent!!

We don't really use resistance for our kumite. The most variation we do for our kumite is varying what your allowed to do and not to do, such as only evasion as the defence or legs only etc

I decided to do point sparring last night. It was the first time ever since I opened that we do point sparring, as we have always done continuous sparring. Went well, everybody seem to enjoy the change, it also had a larger affect then I had thought, on the students trying not to get hit. And continuous barring a lot of them are toff and just take the hits keep coming , in point sparring it's more important to not get hit so I found this is a valuable lesson.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

I am not sure what resistance training is?!?

Not just standing there while your opponent/partner has his/her way with you...one technique after another until the end of the series. That's fine, for learning and refining, which is still learning!

You execute a punch, for example, and your opponent/partner executes a series of techniques while you offer no resistance...you just stand there!! You don't resist...you don't block...you don't counter...you don't duck or move out of the range...you don't escape, if being grasped...you do, well, NOTHING!!

How's one to know what to do when plan 'A' doesn't work like it did in the dojo?!?!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I decided to do point sparring last night. It was the first time ever since I opened that we do point sparring, as we have always done continuous sparring. Went well, everybody seem to enjoy the change, it also had a larger affect then I had thought, on the students trying not to get hit. And continuous barring a lot of them are toff and just take the hits keep coming , in point sparring it's more important to not get hit so I found this is a valuable lesson.

People bash point sparring, and sometimes for good reasons. But, it definitely has its place. The problem with it is when it's the only goal of sparring/type of sparring. Sparring needs to be varied. It reminds me of when my uncle was taking TKD - everyone in the dojo, including senior instructors were telling him he shouldn't throw punches, because "punches don't score points." This wasn't during competition training either. His response: "I'm not here to score points." After several months of it he walked away.

Sensei8 yes, I woul not really see much benefit in doing nothing personally, thanks for the explanation.

Jr 137 you know, I agree that allowing only kicks for points seems silly. Although I could see doing that sometimes to really work on some cooking techniques and accuracy, and I could see using only hands to do the same with punches and hand techniques as well, I could not see you doing it all the time though as it would limit your hand abilities over time.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

I am not sure what resistance training is?!?

Not just standing there while your opponent/partner has his/her way with you...one technique after another until the end of the series. That's fine, for learning and refining, which is still learning!

You execute a punch, for example, and your opponent/partner executes a series of techniques while you offer no resistance...you just stand there!! You don't resist...you don't block...you don't counter...you don't duck or move out of the range...you don't escape, if being grasped...you do, well, NOTHING!!

How's one to know what to do when plan 'A' doesn't work like it did in the dojo?!?!

Well with each of our kumite versions it is all movement based.We develop tactics with each progression of kumite. For us kumite does not have any pre-defined techniques you have to do or told to do. As long as they are karate techniques then your fine.

So you learn different tactics when others fail. We teach different ways of fighting (counter fighter for example). But every person finds their own sneaky tactics.

But obviously every person develops those tactics over time.

We have pre-arranged sparring as well which is different for us as they are teaching concepts for kumite.