• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

T-shirt in place of gi top?

I've been on both sides of this equation. For years, I trained in a T-shirt with gi pants while in combative karate systems. It was great. Then I moved into the MMA realm and did away with the gi pants, even more comfortable. Now, I'm heavy in BJJ and I'm back full circle to a full gi all the time. Heck, I don't even like doing no gi grappling all that much :lol: That said, during Muay Thai, I'm back to shorts and a T.

So, I think it largely depends on the requirements of your art. If you are in a grappling heavy art that utilized grips and such, you'll NEED one. If you're largely in a striking art with only small joint manipulations for grappling then a shirt with gi pants is probably very comfortable and functional.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say, train in as many different gi/no gi options and the like, if at all possible to do so, because one never knows where one will be when a situation arises; better familiarize oneself in every possible way clothing option.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I say, train in as many different gi/no gi options and the like, if at all possible to do so, because one never knows where one will be when a situation arises; better familiarize oneself in every possible way clothing option.

Completely agreed. I genuinely wonder why most traditional striking arts still practice without shoes. I understand the Japanese/Asian culture of no shoes in the house. We don't have that custom engrained in us here. Wearing shoes while kicking changes a ton of things. The front kick using the ball of the foot becomes quite different in a pair of sneakers. Pivoting becomes different.

I think we should wear shoes that are only worn in the dojo. Possibly wrestling shoes. I'm not trying to break tradition, but some traditions shouldn't be done for the sole sake of tradition when there's a more logical and beneficial approach.

Not sure about ground fighting heavy systems. Wrestling shoes make sense too, but that's my former wrestling background.

Back to my original thought for this post - if you can't pull off a technique in a no gi/t-shirt situation, how functional is that technique truly? If a t-shirt is too light to be able to grab it as part of a throw or choke, how would you use that technique when a t-shirt wearing attacker comes at you? How many attackers are wearing something that a gi would approximate on the 4th of July (or New Year's Day in the Southern Hemisphere)? I have no judo nor jujitsu experience, so don't take that the wrong way; just trying to learn.

Completely agreed. I genuinely wonder why most traditional striking arts still practice without shoes. I understand the Japanese/Asian culture of no shoes in the house. We don't have that custom engrained in us here. Wearing shoes while kicking changes a ton of things. The front kick using the ball of the foot becomes quite different in a pair of sneakers. Pivoting becomes different.

I think we should wear shoes that are only worn in the dojo. Possibly wrestling shoes. I'm not trying to break tradition, but some traditions shouldn't be done for the sole sake of tradition when there's a more logical and beneficial approach.

Not sure about ground fighting heavy systems. Wrestling shoes make sense too, but that's my former wrestling background.

Back to my original thought for this post - if you can't pull off a technique in a no gi/t-shirt situation, how functional is that technique truly? If a t-shirt is too light to be able to grab it as part of a throw or choke, how would you use that technique when act-shirt wearing attacker comes at you? How many attackers are wearing something that a gi would approximate on the 4th of July (or New Year's Day in the Southern Hemisphere)? I have no judo nor jujitsu experience, so don't take that the wrong way; just trying to learn.

I've thought about this also, and have been tempted to buy some of those martial arts sneakers that are for sale on some sites. I wonder if they are any good? Anyone had any experience with them?

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Back to my original thought for this post - if you can't pull off a technique in a no gi/t-shirt situation, how functional is that technique truly? If a t-shirt is too light to be able to grab it as part of a throw or choke, how would you use that technique when a t-shirt wearing attacker comes at you? How many attackers are wearing something that a gi would approximate on the 4th of July (or New Year's Day in the Southern Hemisphere)? I have no judo nor jujitsu experience, so don't take that the wrong way; just trying to learn.

Solid post!

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Check out my feet man, I almost always wear kung fu shoes in the dojo, no other shoes allowed. My last place did it this way as do I now. They are very flexible and soft. You can still use the ball of your foot for front kicks and such.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Tbj0RhRqXJ4/Ve_hV_zkREI/AAAAAAABAQI/6Wz6mSQw_Bc/s1024-no/IMG_0508.JPG

Edited by Luther unleashed

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Back to my original thought for this post - if you can't pull off a technique in a no gi/t-shirt situation, how functional is that technique truly? If a t-shirt is too light to be able to grab it as part of a throw or choke, how would you use that technique when act-shirt wearing attacker comes at you? How many attackers are wearing something that a gi would approximate on the 4th of July (or New Year's Day in the Southern Hemisphere)? I have no judo nor jujitsu experience, so don't take that the wrong way; just trying to learn.

I've thought about this also, and have been tempted to buy some of those martial arts sneakers that are for sale on some sites. I wonder if they are any good? Anyone had any experience with them?

My old sensei used to wear them due to foot problems. He had a few surgeries and couldn't spend 6 hours a day barefoot on a hardwood floor. They seemed like wrestling sneakers minus the laces and being low top. Only insight I have into them.

Check out my feet man, I almost always wear kung fu shoes in the dojo, no other shoes allowed. My last place did it this way as do I now. They are very flexible and soft. You can still use the ball of your foot for front kicks and such.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Tbj0RhRqXJ4/Ve_hV_zkREI/AAAAAAABAQI/6Wz6mSQw_Bc/s1024-no/IMG_0508.JPG

I was thinking of something like these:

http://www.blackbeltshop.com/adidas_low_cut_white_sneaker.htm

Casual street wear, but still with enough flex for kicking.............

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

I was thinking of something like these:

http://www.blackbeltshop.com/adidas_low_cut_white_sneaker.htm

Casual street wear, but still with enough flex for kicking.............

Those look good. I have used similar looking pairs though and they lack the same grippy bottom and soft sole for pulling toes back and such. The ones I wear allow me to move my toes easily and the shoe just rolls with it lol. Also, they are more grippy like I said, which matters more for me because I'm in a gym on hard and sometimes slippery floor. I use these.. http://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Claw-Feiyue-Martial-Shoes/dp/B00MH2QMWO

Fun fact: That brand has been out since 1920 in China and used for Kung fu purposes since.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

At our club the adults class on a Tuesday is shorts and T-shirt. It's a conditioning and strength class, so it's pretty hard going. We wear a club T-shirt for this. The kids don't have a conditioning class but some of them just wear a club T-shirt with a belt and gi pants. I have to say I don't like it, I like to see them in their whites but it's not always affordable for the parents to keep them in gis. One kid has a black gi too, which I'm not keen on either, the plain ol' white always looks best in my opinion. Nothing looks better than the kids lined out at the end of a class in full white gi.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.