• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

T-shirt in place of gi top?

Training in ordinary, comfortable clothing can be good in some circumstances. The white cotton dogi has only been around for the last hundred years and in general use for much less time. Karateka today take it for granted and many might be surprised to know that until the sixties, karate training was done in with nothing more than one's shorts. Even now, in Okinawa it isn't unheard of for some of the old-timers to train with something on other than a gi. Some of these never owned one until later.

A good one can be expensive, but will last for years if it is well maintained. Recycling them is a great idea for young students and those of modest means. Cotton/polyester blends are also cheaper and more suitable for youths.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My former organization allowed official t-shirts during the summer. Every summer had a different t-shirt (didn't have a year on it or anything else that dated it, which was good IMO). You could wear that year's t-shirt, belt and gi pants, or go full gi.

I bought one every year, but only wore the first one twice. I hated wearing a t-shirt in the dojo. Didn't seem formal enough to me, but I hate to admit that to myself. I'm a traditionalist in that sense. I'd like to see everyone in the same gi worn the same way, same sparring gear, etc. But I know it's OCD and/or controlling, and not really the most important thing in training anyway, so I don't lose any sleep over it.

Part of me says it doesn't matter what you wear, the training is the most important thing. Another part of me says the visual uniformity and sticking to it is a part of the training and etiquette, therefore must be followed. When/if I own my own dojo and/or system, I'll worry about what everyone else is doing.

During summer our Sensei allows us to wear a t-shirt, however I prefer to wear my Gi top.

I think it looks a little unprofessional when karatekas do not wear the full gi.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

My school did this when I was coming up, and I think they still do. The only time that we every HAD to wear the GI top was on a test.

I sort of got used to wearing the shirt and found that it took me a little time to become acclimated with the GI top again when I had it on.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

We wear full doboks (gi) to every class with the exception of our fitness and sparring class. Then adults wear dobok trousers and a t-shirt just because the class is a more informal workout and sparring session. It gets pretty hot and wouldn't be great in full dobok top. Adults can wear whatever top they like but kids are encouraged to wear a TKD club or other shirt or plain white if they can.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Within the Shindokan network:

Full gi's at the Hombu; NO EXCEPTIONS!!

At the individual Shindokan dojo's, that's the discretion of the CI!! However, some uniformity must be adhered to, and a t-shirt with the dojo's name/logo on it; but the entire student body has to wear it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

At the individual Shindokan dojo's, that's the discretion of the CI!! However, some uniformity must be adhered to, and a t-shirt with the dojo's name/logo on it; but the entire student body has to wear it!!

Is that like in Heartbreak Ridge where either the entire platoon wore the same t-shirt as Clint Eastwood's character or they all went shirtless?

I would choose Gi over T shirt because you can see all the patches and your award patches on the Gi and I cant wait to have the red Gi its gonna be awesome in order to have the red gi you have to help teach kid at lease 100 times a week thats like in 4 years depending when you help because im a member of the swat team in my karate studio we only used T shirt on the summer which is cool i like wearing T shirt in the summer

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

Is that like in Heartbreak Ridge where either the entire platoon wore the same t-shirt as Clint Eastwood's character or they all went shirtless?

Love the movie, Clint Eastwood, and the intent of the "same t-shirt" ideology. In time, the platoon finally arrived on the same page as their DI!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Love the movie, Clint Eastwood, and the intent of the "same t-shirt" ideology. In time, the platoon finally arrived on the same page as their DI!!

People get weird about schools that require everyone to buy their sparring gear through them, and I get why. But my view on it is the same as everyone wearing the same gi, or the same t-shirt. Goes along with what you say here!