• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Different Kamai Positions

Shotokannon

Ok so I'm going for Purple belt next week having done Karate now for a year, and now that I'm starting to learn some Post-Heian/Pinan Katas, and I've noticed that there's a lot of different Kamai Positions in the various Post-Heian/Pinan katas, (Tekki Shodan, Bassai dai Kanku dai etc) and I'm wondering if there's any specific reason for this? it's always intrigued me.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's because ( in most cases) each kamai position represents a different functional application or combatative principle.

There is some degree of stylisation, and some believe that it is related to Chinese salutations... but personally I don't and make the assumption that the opening movements of the kata set the context for the rest of the kata, usually with the kamai representing the end position of the first movement at initial engagement.

For example, in Empi the kamai is a natural position to be in once you have applied a wrist lock off a left handed grab from your attacker..In Tekki shodan the kamai position of having your left hand over your right, applies to having your right hand grabbed by your attackers left. In both examples the kamai position puts you in the right place to apply the next motion effectively - in Empi a dropping arm lock, in Tekki a take down.

Tom Runge

The Kamae Position is used as part of the kata as it as a different technique to be performed. Even if it appears to be part of one.

For Instance Bassai Dai it can be seen as the initial movement for a wrist break. But obviously everyone has their own interpretation for it.

Some Instructors that I have spoken to have explained to me that it is to help identify different kata otherwise they would appear harder to learn. Others show part of techniques or movements as a concept. Using Bassai Dai as an example for me there is the concept of hip rotation and hip usage.

Thomas and Nidan Melbourne posts are both solid!!

Also, the Kamae is trained because attacks do happen while one's sitting on the ground. Many Karate styles train from the sitting position, especially, Shotokan!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!