• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD blackbelts

My guess is that the child black belts are something that the americans came up a couple of decades ago, when the symbolism of a black belt status wasn't that common a knowledge in there? Someone have a different idea?

I lived in Korea for a while and there were plenty of early-teen blackbelts there. I don't know if similar McDojofications are happening there, or if historically people needed to get good with arts early on because they'd soon be needing to use them in combat of some kind. *shrug* I don't know.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your friend might have a black belt, but have you seen his certificate on the wall of his room? Anybody can buy a belt, but a certificate signed by the chief instructor is the valid proof. Also....Tai Kwon Do promotes good health, but will not give you a great body by just attending classes. He can attend all the classes in the world, but might have a problem with pushing away from the dinner table. A black belt must take the required courses for 9 different belts before testing for a 1st dan black. He must spar, perform mulitple board breaks and perform the given poomse as well as the poomse from previous belts to prove his knowledge. He must also prove himself daily as a worthy student showing respect to others around him. If the red or brown belt forms are not performed and the student doesn't have the poise or balance, the teacher will hold them back until they gain this. How long ago did this person gain black belt status? Ask this person to perform all the forms and you'll find out how serious a student they really are. I learn and re-learn all my forms if I feel myself slipping. I do all 9 forms on a daily basis so my feeble old mind won't forget them! (G)

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.

Just for clarity and to cut the confusion for some, and because I am picky....it's Tae Kwon Do, not Tai Kwon Do. I know, I am being petty, but it is my art.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Thank you Ken for correcting my eronious spelling. My gal does this to me all the time and she can't help it. She's a proof reader at her job. Drives me friggin' nuts sometimes. (G)

No....not a problem. She drives me nuts with it sometimes. (G) I was a certified drafter for AEC consultants in downtown KC, MO back in the early 80s. CAD was just barely out back then. Now I sing for a living around the country. TKD is great to take on the road as you don't need any equipment. Where is Ottawa? I lived in KC for years and still perform around Kansas as I live in Omaha these days. Right now I'm out by Indy for a three week stint.

Ottawa is about 35 miles south of Olathe, KS. I work for GBA in Lenexa, KS. My office used to be downtown, but we moved about 3 years ago.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

I'll be stopping in KC on Monday to deal with CompUSA on a return, but I'm heading straight to Omaha. I'll be in Salina over the weekend of the 10th, but that's quites a distance from you. I'm sure I'll be perfoming in the KC area again soon. Used to work at the Argosy quite often. Played at One Block West in KC back in the old days, but I'm sure that's before your time. Anyway.....oh yah....back on topic...hehe....do you have any flexibiltity issues with the hamstrings or muslces surrounding the knees and thighs? I've been at this a few years and I still can't touch the floor with my knuckles without bending at the knees. It really does affect my side kick in height and I thought that dynamic stretching to the side might help.