• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Name that Kata!

Darkranger85

A few more training sessions and you'll have it all sorted!!

I'm in the same place as you at the moment, new kata and trying to remember the sequence. Just got off Youtube, where I could only find IMHO, poor examples of this particular kata. I just don't understand why so many people rush when they do kata!!

Training tonight, so will get some good practice in!!!

Which one are you working on? I'm on Seido 2. I know all the non-Seido kata except Tsuki No from my previous system.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same, Seido 2.

Enjoy Pinan 2

Had an intro to Pinan 3 last night.

Noticing the workload increase significantly in prep for next grading. 3 new katas plus all the rest.......................................

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Well, I was given further instruction and correction on it.

And as far as I'm told, its called "Iron Elbows" or Enpi. So I am assuming it must be dojo specific or something.

I didn't get a lot of time to talk about it cause the instructor had a wedding to go to and I wont see her again for a week or so. But, I do have class tomorrow and I might be able to find out more.

Same, Seido 2.

Enjoy Pinan 2

Had an intro to Pinan 3 last night.

Noticing the workload increase significantly in prep for next grading. 3 new katas plus all the rest.......................................

If you get stuck on a kata, except for the Seido series, use this...

All Kyokushin kata. Very few subtle changes. Useful for those moments of sorting out the order of things, can't remember the next step, etc. there's no instruction, only someone performing to someone else's count. It's easy to blend Pinan 2 and 3, especially when first learning them.

All Kyokushin kata. Very few subtle changes. Useful for those moments of sorting out the order of things, can't remember the next step, etc. there's no instruction, only someone performing to someone else's count. It's easy to blend Pinan 2 and 3, especially when first learning them.

Got that, subscribed, thanks man!

Got that, subscribed, thanks man!

No problem at all.

Green belt in Seido is where the syllabus really starts to pile up. Hence why promoting goes to 6 month minimums instead of 3. Kihon kimite and yakusoku kumite begin here too, I believe. And sparring gear/contact sparring begins. And intermediate self-defense. Training starts to get a lot more fun here. And a lot more intense. Probably the most difficult rank until Shodan.

I'm testing for green belt next week. I've skipped all the advanced/in between ranks so far and will this time too. That's due to my previous knowledge of the syllabus. Pretty sure I won't skip any more ranks and promote early after this point. Not that I care much about rank anyway; it's all about getting better.

Green belt in Seido is where the syllabus really starts to pile up. Hence why promoting goes to 6 month minimums instead of 3. Kihon kimite and yakusoku kumite begin here too, I believe. And sparring gear/contact sparring begins. And intermediate self-defense. Training starts to get a lot more fun here. And a lot more intense. Probably the most difficult rank until Shodan.

HHHmmmm, Bit different down here, sparring a lot earlier on, I already have 2 Yakusokus on board, SDs to 1-10, Kihons I have the first few sorted. Kihons here start at 8th Kyu.

Going to Russia next week for business and will train at a Seido dojo in Moscow, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they do things, my guess is sparring from the start, I'll let you know when I get back with pics, subject to the CI's approval.

I could be a bit off with what's done when. I've done kihon kumite 1-3, yakusoku 1-2. I've done basic SD 1-10 both sides since day 1, as they were in my previous system. I wasn't sure if kihon and yakusoku were actually part of yellow belt, as my CI has taught me different things at a different pace due to my previous experience.

We're not allowed to officially free spar here with gear on here until green belt, per Kaicho's rules. I've done a ton of free sparring without gear, going non-contact (depending on who's in front of me). My previous experience gives me this leeway.

From what I've been told, sparring before green belt is a big no-no in his eyes. One of his main complaints from his Kyokushin days was that people were expected to spar (full contact with no gear) from day one. People were getting beat up and injured their first day and not coming back. In his book he mentions this, and says he wonders how many potentially great students he lost because of it. He doesn't want anyone sparring like this until they're fully ready. Very hard to argue that logic, but I think it should be before green belt; probably at yellow belt. My previous system started at blue belt (same order of belts).

I heard Kaicho is going to either Australia or NZ in a week or two for a 50th anniversary of a dojo (the dojo was under him during his Kyokushin days). Know anything about it? If so, are you attending?

Yes, I have read that Kaicho prefers Green belt and up to spar.

I have heard it said that Seido is the "gentle karate", not sure where that came from, probably just because of the spiritual and meditational side of things. I would defy anyone to call it "gentle" after a round or two with pretty much any of the senior students around here!

Kumite is part of my next grading.............

A typical night in our dojo is 1- 1 1/2 hrs conditioning, then syllabus or sparring. Our CI takes it literally when they say "treat every session like its a grading"..

Yes, a big part of the split was the full contact, strongest guy mentality of Oyama I believe.

Yes Kaicho is coming to Christchurch, New Zealand to celebrate 50 years of the Christchurch Seido dojo, it went with him when he split. Unfortunately I will be in Russia while he is here.

Gutted I'll miss him!!

• 2 weeks later...