• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Am I wrong to be irked by this?

Personally don't mind it so much because I have taken kids to MA Parties as a babysitter.

A couple of the parties I have seen is fun but not getting the kids inspired to take up a Martial Art.

The others have a heavy influence on a MA Lesson getting those to learn something.

So overall there is nothing wrong with it, as it can show parents that there is a MA school and that they can meet potentially the CI so the chances that they may sign up.

Most schools offer it because it can be a safer option for kids to have fun and learn something fun. So this a big plus for some parents as they see safety as a big one.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like Patrick's response a lot. I will say however, that I don't care for them. I can completely relate to the OP! I am on a rec center so I don't do things like that mostly because other programs go before or after and I only get my time slot. Ultimately I think they end up being a bit gimicky, but there are many things I see in the martial arts world that take cross this barrier for me personally. In the end though if you want to continue teaching it seems you need to do what you can to keep Buisness going. There are many things you should probably have your hand in, in order to really stabilize the program/school! I'm not knocking those that may do it, just saying it's not really for me and I can relate to the original posters feelings.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

I like Patrick's response a lot. I will say however, that I don't care for them. I can completely relate to the OP! I am on a rec center so I don't do things like that mostly because other programs go before or after and I only get my time slot. Ultimately I think they end up being a bit gimicky, but there are many things I see in the martial arts world that take cross this barrier for me personally. In the end though if you want to continue teaching it seems you need to do what you can to keep Buisness going. There are many things you should probably have your hand in, in order to really stabilize the program/school! I'm not knocking those that may do it, just saying it's not really for me and I can relate to the original posters feelings.

If you weren't running out of a Rec Centre would you consider running birthday parties?

hmmm ....

Me personally I see no harm in having a dojo that runs some form of celebration activity for its students!

I see this as a way of making stronger bonds between everyone, what I will say and stand against is celebrations for the sake of celebrating!

For me this sort of activity removes all meaning and value from the 'get together'.

Children are the future they do need to feel and be 'a part of something', the better, the bigger 'that' is can be is a great thing, truly is.

BUT, is only important if it has meaning, it has value, to offer a service for the sake of a service ... not sure I like that to be honest, I'd much prefer to see a 'surprise' gathering being done for a person/student with the help of the family, and in that action give more value more meaning to the event!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Martial arts schools having parties or events are often an idea associated with the larger modern day dojo. However, it is far from a new concept. In the smaller traditional schools with fewer students it is commonplace for students to have certain celebrations or social events.

The dojo where I train has had parties for the Year End, New Year and birthdays. There are only two or three children/youths the rest are all adults. What makes these events enjoyable and worthwhile is that they are always done after everyone is done the day's training, which always seems harder than usual on that particular day.

If you weren't running out of a Rec Centre would you consider running birthday parties?

I probably would not! I would conifer it but I don't care for the idea. Although as an interesting topic within itself, I do things now that I don't like to do. I always had a passion and dream to teach. Now that I have my own Buisness I'm blown away at the amount of things I do on a daily basis to make by Buisness successful, the things I let slide, the times I push my place like a drug dealer. Sometimes I don't care for it as a Buisness, I'd probably be much happier teaching for free and having a different source of income but we all make a living some how. I left 16 years in the auto repair Buisness to teach martial arts full time now.

The b-day parties are t bad to me, just not my thing. The same way a hardnosed instructor can't be the goofy instructor, and the other way around. Throwing a birthday part doesn't really appeal to me, I like to teach martial arts! As a Buisness that desires success, I would consider it, but I'm pretty led by my heart and I'm sure I'd still pass.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!