• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Study on long term effects of push-ups on MA Seniors?

IcemanSK

A few months back, I saw an article on a study done about the long term effects of push-ups. They studied older MA Senior masters who's primary bodyweight exercise was push-ups. I've been searching for this study (including in "TheJournal of Asian MA" with no success. Can someone point me to this study, please?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sorry I can't help you, but do you remember the conclusion by chance?

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

If I remember correctly, they fould that many of those Seniors had rotator cuff issues because push-ups were really the only upper body bodyweight exercise these Seniors had done. They did them repeatedly for many years (as good MAists tend to do) but not really any others to protect & strengthen the surrounding muscles. Therefore, the areas of their shoulders & rotators cuffs became subject to repeatitive stress injuries (like carpal tunnel for typists) in their shoulders.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

It doesn't sound surprising, though. But, if you do anything physical for any extended period of time, you are bound to observe some kind of overuse injuries. Handstand push-ups would probably have been good for balancing out the shoulders, but they are so hard to do, and not everyone can do them.

I've always been wary of pushups for this reason. If you do a class that is Pushup heavy, go home and do some pull ups to make up for it. Balance in all things. Its a great exercise for chest and tris, but you need the antagonist muscle groups worked, or injury is inevitable.

I've always been wary of pushups for this reason. If you do a class that is Pushup heavy, go home and do some pull ups to make up for it. Balance in all things. Its a great exercise for chest and tris, but you need the antagonist muscle groups worked, or injury is inevitable.

Absolutely. Any good strength & conditioning coach will tell you for every pushing exercise you do (ie push-ups), you should also do a pulling exercise (ie pull-ups, rowing).

Absolutely. Any good strength & conditioning coach will tell you for every pushing exercise you do (ie push-ups), you should also do a pulling exercise (ie pull-ups, rowing).

This is good advice. You must always do the opposite to ensure an adequate excercise.

Many injuries can and have been caused by focused training; the OP explained this with their seniors.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

I think a lot of people don't know how to do proper push ups either. This video is a bit of an eyeopener for getting the most out of push ups:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think a lot of people don't know how to do proper push ups either. This video is a bit of an eyeopener for getting the most out of push ups:

Thanks for sharing

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Thanks for sharing

Yes, thanks for sharing. You bring up a great point...proper push-ups!! Nothing outweighs the proper execution, no matter the discipline!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!