• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punches or Palms?

Doomed

Just for the sake of discussion, which do you consider the better (or more practical) technique for self-defense, the traditional corkscrew punch, or the palm heel strike?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Like every other technique - depends on the target, angle, where I am in relation to my opponent, what opening(s) he's left me, etc.

If a punch was better than every other hand technique in every single instance, no one would train using it.

Totally agree, it all depends on the situation I am in, I am NOT going to punch some one in the face/head, more likely to risk injuring yourself so a palm hand/open had technique would be far better for me there.

Mind you, it's surely better not to be there in the first place to get hit, therefore I would be more reliant on body movement.

A baseball bat!! However, I must choose one or the other, and everyone hear already knows what I'm going to say, and some have already mentioned it...

Target acquisition is dependent upon varied parameters. In short, I won't know until that very moment arrives!!

I know...I can be such a smart-mouth...sorry!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Best to use your fleshy part hitting the opponent's boney parts and your boney parts hitting their fleshy parts.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Best to use your fleshy part hitting the opponent's boney parts and your boney parts hitting their fleshy parts.[/quote

Have to agree, this is an excellent summation of the most basic rule.

However, there are no golden rules in combat, and as mentioned prior it all comes down to the moment one finds them-self in and the variables of that moment.

Saying that though, if one is doing general self-defence, rather than karate, a traditional martial art, or combat sport involving punching, one might be better off teaching striking with the palm. It can be less injurious to the person using it, than a poorly thrown punch, even though palm strikes carry their own dangers. Palm strikes also more readily turn into shoves of grabs, so in that sense are also useful creating space, or gaining body control through a grip. However, the dangers are in getting the fingers caught, or not being able to exert enough force to do as desired. Punches protect the fingers, and also exert more force because of muscle and bone alignment. So as usual, it comes down to the individual, the particular scenario, and the potential targets.

R. Keith Williams

Best to use your fleshy part hitting the opponent's boney parts and your boney parts hitting their fleshy parts.[/quote

Have to agree, this is an excellent summation of the most basic rule.

However, there are no golden rules in combat, and as mentioned prior it all comes down to the moment one finds them-self in and the variables of that moment.

Saying that though, if one is doing general self-defence, rather than karate, a traditional martial art, or combat sport involving punching, one might be better off teaching striking with the palm. It can be less injurious to the person using it, than a poorly thrown punch, even though palm strikes carry their own dangers. Palm strikes also more readily turn into shoves of grabs, so in that sense are also useful creating space, or gaining body control through a grip. However, the dangers are in getting the fingers caught, or not being able to exert enough force to do as desired. Punches protect the fingers, and also exert more force because of muscle and bone alignment. So as usual, it comes down to the individual, the particular scenario, and the potential targets.

correct ,but martial arts involves taking risks , by all means the risk factor varies between techniques , for example a jodan mawashi geri carries a high risk factor ,more than a front kick ,but then again a front kick could be caught and used against for a take down etc.

I personally like to use a teisho like palm hand with my fingers bent and held together ,much safer bet .

As you said palm hand strike could be followed by a grab or even a safer bet like elbow strikes ..that could devastating.

never give up !

It does greatly depend on where you are looking to strike; both could be very useful and painful to your opponent.

Boney areas, use fist and medium to soft areas use open hand if you wish.

NEVER try, nukite or anything similar where bones are in great quantity, you could break your fingers very easily here.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi