• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

16 year old Head Instructor

Bob, (and anyone else in this thread), what qualifies someone to be a Chief Instructor? What minimum requirements do you have?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, (and anyone else in this thread), what qualifies someone to be a Chief Instructor? What minimum requirements do you have?

Minimums?!?!

Godan, but nothing lower than Sandan!! One that's NOT a beginner of said MA!! Knowledge is everything, and a beginner lacks a lot of that knowledge; while a Sandan, and for surely a Godan, meets the minimums in spades!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Minimums?!?!

Godan, but nothing lower than Sandan!! One that's NOT a beginner of said MA!! Knowledge is everything, and a beginner lacks a lot of that knowledge; while a Sandan, and for surely a Godan, meets the minimums in spades!!

Do we then not go back to the age old question of what is a rank really worth? A Blackbelt in one style may have a vastly different level of requirement than a Blackbelt in other styles. Sandan or Godan only means something when compared to other students within the same style. And in the same vein as "not all Blackbelts can teach", not all Godans can run a school.

Besides which, I would honestly see a BJJ blue as having a similar amount of knowledge and mat time as a Shodan in a lot of other systems. I would class it as a beginner rank but in the same way 1st dan is a beginner. Nevermind that it is the 2nd rank in the system, Blackbelt was the original 2nd rank in Judo.

I also think it's important to remember Cottrell is teaching a tightly controlled curriculum and still has to have his students graded at Gracie headquarters or by a Gracie certified blackbelt. Quality control measures are in place which cannot be said for a lot of schools nowadays.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

DWx wrote:

Do we then not go back to the age old question of what is a rank really worth? A Blackbelt in one style may have a vastly different level of requirement than a Blackbelt in other styles. Sandan or Godan only means something when compared to other students within the same style. And in the same vein as "not all Blackbelts can teach", not all Godans can run a school.

Of course I'm referring to Sandan's and Godan's that CAN teach!! If you can't teach or run a school, and you're a Sandan or a Godan, then you've no business being the CI at all...ever!! WITHIN THE SAME STYLE...YES, exactly, and I agree. This is well known, and well understood, and that wasn't my argument. A BEGINNER IS A BEGINNER no matter how one dresses it up!

DWx wrote:

Besides which, I would honestly see a BJJ blue as having a similar amount of knowledge and mat time as a Shodan in a lot of other systems. I would class it as a beginner rank but in the same way 1st dan is a beginner. Never mind that it is the 2nd rank in the system, Blackbelt was the original 2nd rank in Judo.

OK! However, a Shodan isn't qualified to be a CI based on the minimums that I've posted. A beginner, as in a Blue Belt, isn't the same thing as a Shodan is a beginner because a Shodan is a beginner of the advanced level; eons above the blue belt. In BJJ, I'm sure a BJJ Blue Belt isn't even CLOSE to being the same beginner as a BJJ Black Belt is!! And ok, because of no other reason(s), I'm paying no mind to the Black Belt was the original 2nd rank in Judo. Even though, eons of knowledge separated them both.

DWx wrote:

I also think it's important to remember Cottrell is teaching a tightly controlled curriculum and still has to have his students graded at Gracie headquarters or by a Gracie certified blackbelt. Quality control measures are in place which cannot be said for a lot of schools nowadays.

Got me there! I concur with you. He could be called an instructor, and be fine with that, can't he?!? Can't he become the CI...later?!? Is this another form of self-promotion?!?

Please don't beat me up; it's just my opinion. :P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You misunderstand my grievance. Its not a question of what are the minimum requirements, the question is, are there any requirements at all if a Blue Belt is teaching it? This kid can't even use leg locks outside of basic ankle locks in a tournament! How can you be a qualified CI if you aren't even allowed to use the full sports BJJ curriculum in a competitive setting yet?

But the answer your question, I believe to be CI requires the artist to come "full circle" so to speak. You have learned all the moves, asked all the basic questions, experienced both sides of every move. If Blue belt is enough to teach students with zero oversight, what is the worth of the knowledge being taught at the higher ranks? If he is perfectly qualified to teach alone at blue belt, be the alone educator for a whole community, what knowledge of any value is being passed on at the higher ranks? By saying this guy is qualified to teach on his own, you are degrading all skills taught above his level.

Edited by Judodad_karateson

I agree, Sandan or above.

I'm not sure Shodan or Nidan have the experience.

I think potential karateka's like a sensei who has a high Dan ranking.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

Personally I feel he is too young to be a Chief Instructor.

I understand that he is fully qualified to instruct, but then again being qualified is not equivalent to experience. I had my partner even though a sankyu (Blue Belt) assist teaching because I had no voice and was coughing badly, so I had her help me teach.

From my limited experience of BJJ it is extremely complex, even the white belt curriculum.

Personally I feel he is too young to be a Chief Instructor.

I understand that he is fully qualified to instruct, but then again being qualified is not equivalent to experience. I had my partner even though a sankyu (Blue Belt) assist teaching because I had no voice and was coughing badly, so I had her help me teach.

From my limited experience of BJJ it is extremely complex, even the white belt curriculum.

Agreed. :nod:

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi

We have a black belt in our class who has been studying for 8 years he assists our sensei with teaching he mainly helps by teaching the newbies and sometimes leads the class when sensei will be late. Now, you might be thinking why a sensei would be late to his class, this is because our sensei is also an Indian Excise Police, taking care of the nation.

"Do not fall into the trap of thinking that just because a kata begins to the left that the opponent is attacking from the left."

- Kenwa Mabuni

I know a guy who founded a school in a retail location at 17 years old. His parents helped with the business stuff, and his instructor helped with the martial arts. He focused on teaching and training.

Over the years, he grew as an instructor and businessman, and his school has thrived. When he opened, we wasn't ready to be a chief instructor, but with guidance, he was able to make it work. Now, I think he must be about 30 years old, and he seems particularly good at running a school.

Regarding Houston, I seen no problem with his being a blue belt. In his system, that's seems to be an instructor rank. I would assume he's proven himself at his sensei's dojo. He might be lacking the experience and maturity to run a business well, but I'm sure he'll have help and support from his family and his organization. How many of us who have started businesses were ready at the beginning?

Being an old dude, I'd probably avoid the place if I had a reasonable alternative, but if I had a 13 year old kid, I might send him or her there.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com