• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What's in your Dojo?

muttley

As you all know, I have recently started training at a new (as in brand new) Dojo. This Dojo has so much equipment in it, it is pretty cool.

As someone who grew up training in church halls and school halls with little to no equipment, this place is just amazing.

This is the Dojo I now train at:

http://www.karatejutsukai.com/thanet?aid1=1454643658174166

So I ask you, what is in your local Dojo?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very nice dojo you train at; well equipped!!

I've no dojo of my own at the time; I'm in between dojo's because I just move from Oklahoma to Texas...I'm in the search for one right now.

My last dojo had everything and then some, including retail space for my MA supply store. I'm lick my brother, Donald, he's a ASE certified Master Mechanic, owns his own repair facility in Tehachapi, CA, and if it's a new tool or equipment, he'll buy it, and use it. I'm the same way, if it'll help my students and myself, I'll buy it and we'll all use it.

I'll see if I have any photo's backed away, if so, I'll try to post them. I say try because I still have no idea how to post a pic...dumb in that area, beyond dumb in that area.

Enjoy the new dojo...train hard and train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Nice..but not my style. I prefer garages, parks, basements and such. I'd be afraid the blood would stain the nice fancy carpet. :brow:

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Nice..but not my style. I prefer garages, parks, basements and such. I'd be afraid the blood would stain the nice fancy carpet. :brow:

Nice! After all, blood's can be hard to remove!!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Plain as plain can be is my dojo. The floor is cement with thin office type carpet and covered with 2 inch thick hard foam puzzle mats. The only things on the walls are wood name tags for us students, certificates for sensei's rank and several framed photos of sensei's teachers and Okinawan masters of the lineage. As far as equipment there are piles of roofing tiles and 2 inch pine boards as well as baseball bats for breaking/conditioning. There is also two sand/pebble-filled bags and that is all. The rest is essential furniture because sensei works and lives there on weekends.

The main dojo we train at is a basic padded room with a hanging punching bag and a free standing bag. We have a small desk that has random things that is needed for later. A on the wall book shelf with several good karate books mostly kata books though. We have a small shelving thing that has extra sparing gear for newbies and those that can't get there own gear.

One of the students got a blow up punching bag from walmart for the littler kids and for just fun punching and kicking. It has a electronic censor on it. The 3rd punching/kicking "bag"

It's a class room in a old high school turned into a community center.

The place were I mostly go is were my instructor guest teaches. Its an old dojo(may be in the running for oldest in my city). Basic really comfortable mats on the ground. It's mainly a judo academy. A couple of places for a hanging punching bag. We sadly only have one here at this time. It has a place for a weight room. Basic weightballs in the main room. Sadly this dojo is falling a part and may be shutdown soon. The owner that lets others train isn't doing so well. I love this dojo too I just wish its location was in a better side of town.

my dojo is the wood floor of my house. the door frames are my makiwara. weight training includes push ups , Sanchin kata, Tensho kata and pulling a 60 lbs longbow.

I hope somebody opens a traditional dojo in Bellaire,TX. i 'll be the first to join.

Very nice. We're very much the "church hall dojo". We're in an upstairs room of a non-profit community center. We use the room Tuesdays and Thursdays and a wrestling program uses it Mondays and Wednesdays.

We've got the floor mats from the wrestling program (they paid for those but let us use them), two WaveMaster punching bags in one corner, a full length mirror along one wall, and the Isshinryu "charts" on metal sign/poster things hanging on another wall.

We're also slowly acquiring punching and kicking shields and paddles. Before we used old pool noodles. We're getting an ok supply of sparring gear, as well (mostly second hand).

Our dojo is bare bones. 1 heavy bag, a few large rectangular striking pads (don't know what they're called), some food away mats, and a bunch of weapons.

To quote my CI, "we're a small club."

I haven't seen anyone hit the heavy bag, other than my CI when I'm the first one in before the first class. Not sure if the advanced classes use it or not.

But I've always wondered when I see pics of dojos with heavy bags - do you hit them during normal class times, are there specific scheduled classes that focus on them, such as a conditioning class, or are they only used during open floor times?

My old dojo had a heavy bag that we could hit during open floor times. Never used it during formal classes during the six years I was there. Same for the freestanding bags, but we'd use them in a specific conditioning class where there wasn't much instruction; it was kind of like (I hate to say it!) cardio karate class, only we'd strike much harder, not at such a fast pace, and do specific kumite stuff.

Gotta get my own heavy bag.

Our dojo is bare bones. 1 heavy bag, a few large rectangular striking pads (don't know what they're called), some food away mats, and a bunch of weapons.

To quote my CI, "we're a small club."

I haven't seen anyone hit the heavy bag, other than my CI when I'm the first one in before the first class. Not sure if the advanced classes use it or not.

But I've always wondered when I see pics of dojos with heavy bags - do you hit them during normal class times, are there specific scheduled classes that focus on them, such as a conditioning class, or are they only used during open floor times?

My old dojo had a heavy bag that we could hit during open floor times. Never used it during formal classes during the six years I was there. Same for the freestanding bags, but we'd use them in a specific conditioning class where there wasn't much instruction; it was kind of like (I hate to say it!) cardio karate class, only we'd strike much harder, not at such a fast pace, and do specific kumite stuff.

Gotta get my own heavy bag.

We use it mostly before class. There is a class of using proper technique to the bags as an actual dummy of sorts. Other times when we had a few kids we used freestanding as kind of a "fun time" for the kid to keep interest type things. I wish we had more time and could put a regular time for using the bags. I personally like using them to work on proper technique and actually hitting something. Yet I am weird. For now they are every so often class time (after kihon, kata, and kumite or in place of kumite).