• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Callouses, bruises, battle scars etc.

Strinking equipment such as the Okinawan makiwara and Chinese wooden dummy are a staple of many martial art systems. Regular use of these results in all sorts of very obvious changes in the appearance of the users hands. Anything from slight discoloration, to bruising and all sorts of bumps and callouses.

What type of impressions would ordinary people who are not involved in martial arts have when seeing or meeting someone with these obvious scars? would the impression be negative enough to cause problems for the person with the markings? Such as in social interactions with other people or interfering with finding or keeping a job?

My own hands are way past the point where I can hide the appearance and I have so far blown off questions as to why my hands have bumps. I change the subject quickly, but I know people (work and acquaintances)are talking. I have not been pressed to explain, but I am not sure I would know what to say. For now I would rather leave it be.

Anyone have similar experiences?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Strinking equipment such as the Okinawan makiwara and Chinese wooden dummy are a staple of many martial art systems. Regular use of these results in all sorts of very obvious changes in the appearance of the users hands. Anything from slight discoloration, to bruising and all sorts of bumps and callouses.

What type of impressions would ordinary people who are not involved in martial arts have when seeing or meeting someone with these obvious scars? would the impression be negative enough to cause problems for the person with the markings? Such as in social interactions with other people or interfering with finding or keeping a job?

My own hands are way past the point where I can hide the appearance and I have so far blown off questions as to why my hands have bumps. I change the subject quickly, but I know people (work and acquaintances)are talking. I have not been pressed to explain, but I am not sure I would know what to say. For now I would rather leave it be.

Anyone have similar experiences?

I think the ordinary, untrained person's perception of somebody with calloused knuckles and bruised hands is "anger issues", or "violent individual", to be absolutely honest, you know? It's a completely unfair allegation, but having conditioned hands just isn't really the societal norm.

Then again, I've seen various tradesmen whose knuckles have similar appearance to a MAist, but the conditioning is all from lifelong trades work.

Anyways, I have not had a similar experience. My hands are unfortunately free of scars/callouses/bruises. I've trained my body to be well conditioned, but my hands have been neglected due to lack of resources.

My advice is to ignore anyone who you feel places their judgement upon you. With a complete lack of arrogance, remember that the conditioning which they judge could someday save your life, or even theirs. And they by no means need or have the right to know that.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Even in Okinawa where everyone knew about karate it was never the norm at any point in time. The most extreme examples of "martial art hands" are those of Morio Higaonna and Pan Qing Fu.

Of course these two are fully devoted to their system, but I wonder what it would be like for someone with hands like that working a regular job dealing with people.

So far I have been quite good at dodging the subject but I loathe nothing more than getting into the subject of martial arts with people whose idea of it is based entirely on fantasy, popular culture and disinterested ignorance.

Nothing is more tedious than talking to people about something that they do not and will not understand. Even if it is obvious and people may be making assumptions I still want to avoid admitting it or talking about it to anyone.

Callouses can be removed, and I know several martial artists who do remove them because they are concerned about what people will think of them. I haven't personally had any comments about the bruises and callouses on my hands, but I also keep the callousing to a minimum--I don't need to have hands like Higaonna Sensei, or anything!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I suppose those untrained in the MA might see the slight discoloration, to bruising and all sorts of bumps and callouses, and might say..."Gross"..."O-K?!?"..."WOW"...or they might not think about it at all; not ever crossed their minds at all.

When I first saw Morio Higaonna developments, I thought to myself..."That's some serious training there!" I still think that about him. I respect him for that dedication; it's not for me. I train hard, and my hands will display that.

I've not had many people approach me to enquire as to the who, what, where, when, why, and how about the conditions my hands are in, and for those who have, I let them know that I'm ok, and I leave it at that. An explanation is sought after, but I've no the inclination to answer, nor do I have to. "I'm OK!!" is all they need to know!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I would think that since martial arts in general is viewed as a positive activity, involving discipline, moral code etc that people would view it as an indication of your dedication. Probably better to say "I do martial arts" than to leave people thinking your a wife beater type or pub brawler..............

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Whether or not people ask about it, gnarly hands are probably more likely to give a negative first impression. Only someone familiar with martial arts and the training methods would be likely to think "martial artist".

Besides the curious or concerned inquiries I have never heard of anyone having any kind of trouble for having gnarly karate hands. Then again, this the first time I ever discussed this issue with other martial artists.

The only stories known to me are about Okinawan karate students being cautioned against ruffians wanting to pick a fight by seeing their calloused hands. One story is of a teacher who prescribed a special treatment to minimize the gnarly appearance.

The nature of this ointment, balm or solution is a mystery and I know no way to condition the hands or limbs without eventually developing at least some bumps, bruising or callouses.

Many laypersons are under the impression that if one's hands, etc. don't display some visual indications, then that person isn't a MAist or hasn't been training long.

:roll:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That was certainly the case while I was on Okinawa. Practically everyone has had some experience or exposure to it and gnarly hands only means karate. It is actually the first thing people would think of when seeing such hands. That is probably why nobody ever asked me any questions or gave me weird looks. Instead of asking about my hands, they would just asked how long and even encouraged me to keep it up. Different world/culture, totally awesome.