• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wouldn't pick a fight with a Hell's Angel in one of their bars. Talk about gang bang.

Anyway, for my stand up I'd start with what I know, karate, and go from there. I wouldn't keep my mind closed to pretty much anything, though I don't like flashy styles. For my ground work I'd start with JJ or BJJ, hell maybe even Judo, and again go from there.

The fact that some arts are successful in the ring doesn't eliminate all others from consideration, but it's a good place to start.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd keep Shotokan (because I couldn't imagine my life without it!), throw in Muay Thai, Aikido, Escrima, BJJ and a little Tai Chi Chuan. Mix it in well with modern gun training and lots of running practice so I can get outta there quick if my style doesn't work!! :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 11 months later...

use the skills you know, practise hard core sparring and conditioning, then do some research on other styles and techniques. change it up and do more hard core sparring and conditioning. go to different schools and spar with them, find out what works for you, then call it sid vicious MA's. I SUPPOSE that would be the best way to make your own style.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, im trying to make myself a rounded fighter, so here are the styles I train in, I think these are enough .

Boxing for its sheer power, evasiveness and footwork

Tae Kwon Do for its powerful kicks

Capoeira for the cadence and balance

Kenpo Karate for its massive arsonal of hand strikes, weapons and strong stances

Brazilian Ju Jitsu for of course.... the grappling and takedowns

Pressure Point fighting, so I know all the places that people dont appriciate my knuckles grinding into

Eventualy I want to take tai chi and yoga, which isnt a martial art, but it seems benefitial to my flexebility, strength and mind

Ju Jitsu

Kenpo

Pressure Point Fighting

Capoeira

I use Kajukenbo as my base art for it's "dirty" techniques such as eye, throat, knee, and elbow strikes.

I also train in:

boxing/kickboxing for it's stand up skills

BJJ for it's ground work

Shotokan and Wadoryu for the discipline and power strikes

Chi Kung for inner strength

What works works

American Kenpo, Jujistu, judo.... yeah.....that would be good.

-Bran

Through the night, a raven's schrill cry,

The wind, caressed by darkness, howls through the sky.

The stars in the heavens look upon the corrupt world below,

And as mankind's laid to rest, their fate they do not know.

What I'm already training in:

TKD +boxing+ Ju Jitsu +bo ( and later escrima, jo, and sword)+ knife

and then add:

pentjak silat for sheer effectiveness and more weapons

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

What I can see from many of your posts is that their would be a 'weakness' (so to speak) in many of your combinations - that is in throwing or takedowns. If I were to pick only two martial arts, I believe a good combination would be Judo for its throws and ground work, and Wing Chun for it's speed, nastiness, and trapping (defense). I believe with these two styles I would cover a lot of fighting range: throws/takedowns, groundwork, punching, kicking, and defense.

I would use the BIG FOUR: Boxing, Wrestling, Muay Thai, and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. Also I would incorporate Yoga into the training regimen for flexibility and concentration.

Peace and may God be with you...

Deus Ex Remake