• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Does This Do For Your MA Resume?

I flipped a coin, and this is the forum for this discussion because the topic might fit just about all MAist.

For the most part, MAist will visit other schools and the like, some local, while some not, and some might include an International flight, depending where one lives in order to attend another MA seminar. Some seminars are with legends, while others, are with those gems that are the diamonds in the ruff.

You sign up, you pay your fees, you train for an untold amount of days/weeks/months...you feel good...NO...you feel GREAT. The experience has generate a new spark within you, and it's increased your MA betterment...you feel like you're dancing in the clouds.

You've learnt things that we both new to you and things that needed to be revisited desperately and you've learnt just how to make that which was easy, even much more easier from the seminar you just attended. You discovered, you trained, you made new friends, you visited with old friends, you learnt, you exchanged knowledge, you also exchanged phone numbers and/or address, you absorbed that which was useful, and you discarded that which was useless.

Then, you take pictures with a group as well as with the Instructor of the seminar being given; framing beauties to behold! In your hand, and/or in the joining of hands, you hold up the prize that's important, not just for you, but all who attended.

Then, at the banquet ceremony you get to rub elbows with MA legends, friends, wifes/husbands/family/etc,...you're, for that moment, and depending on where the seminar was held, and whom hosted it, you're richer for having attended.

The flight home...drive home...bus ride home...train ride home...gives you a moment to reflect that which you've just been a part of. You scroll thru the notes you took the entire seminar, and you make mental reminders, and jot them down just as quickly as you can, so as to relive the experience with as much clarity as you can.

During this trip back home, you pull out something that you received to gaze at it, and a proud smile slowly appears across your face. You breathe a deep sigh of pride, and then you wonder and ponder...

*Just what will this prize provide for me?

*Will it open any closed doors for me?

*Will it be accepted to be something of value?

*Is it worth the paper it's written upon?

*Etc.

What was that prize? No, it's not a Kyu or Dan ranking certificate, no, not even close. Then what is the prize??

A CERTIFICATE OF COURSE COMPLETION!!

Some might scoff at this, some even here at KF might. But to the receiver of a certificate of course completion; it's important to them. Give the certificate of course completion it's due respect because, like a ranking certificate, it took hard work, blood, sweat, and tears to accomplish.

For example, those MAist that are in an Okinawan MA might not scoff at a Certificate of Course Completion if it was presented in Okinawa from the Ken Karate Do Rengokai office. That might be a big deal! Who are they? The Okinawa Karate-Do Rengokai, a long established and highly respected organization is recognized and supported by the Okinawan Prefectural Government. It is the dominant and most active Okinawan karate organization, with the largest number of Senior Karate Dan grades: Kudan and Judan!!

Btw, the SKKA isn't affiliated with this governing body in any shape, way, and/or form!!

The instructor to teach at this seminar are 9th and 10th Dan's. Some of the instructors that teach at this annual event are...

Isumu Arakaki, 10th Dan, Hanshi

Morio Higaonna, 10th Dan, Hanshi

Hiroshi Inada, 10th Dan, Hanshi

Zenpo Shimabukuro, 10th Dan, Hanshi

Yoshio Kuba, 9th Dan, Hanshi

Minoru Higa, 10th Dan, Hanshi

Toshio Higa, 9th Dan, Hanshi

Not light weight; not one of them.

What if the seminar you attended was without instructors of the same caliber rank wise, knowledge wise, and overall wise? Would that make it much less important to MAist that earned a Certificate of Course Completion. What if it was your Sensei, who was only locally known, or who wasn't as well noted as those legends of Okinawa Karate-do? Would that be lesser? Would it be equal?

There are some top caliber MAist that are unknown around the world, but their knowledge shouldn't be mocked because you or I don't know them from Adam.

I ask the bolded type above, again...but before you answer and discuss, I know that ANY certificate from anywhere is only valuable to those within the same governing body, AND, it's only valuable to those outside who it peaks an interest in, and therefore finds value in it. I'd like to avoid discussing that which we all feel about the paper its written on, but for the sake of the discussion, lets YOU pick the seminar and the instructor(s) and the governing body host and any other valuable parameters that fits to make the certificate of course completion valuable to YOU, then ask the bolded questions above, and then some.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've always viewed certificates as something that you have to show others as proof of attendance/completion/etc. I don't have my college degrees nor certifications hanging up anywhere. It it as required to do so, I would.

I've worked with teachers and administrators who had their stuff on the wall. Their mind frame was that it shows students they can do it too, being from the same neighborhood and going to the same school. My mind set is I wouldn't have the job if I didn't have the credentials. Neither way is wrong or right IMO.

I view it as the same thing as my CPR cert. I have it if/when I have to show it.

Just because I don't care to hang up certificates doesn't mean no one else should. I have no problem with MAists display in anything they've earned - certs, trophies, pictures, samuari swords, etc. be proud of what you've earned, and be more proud of the knowledge/experience you've gained.

The only stuff I look down on is stuff that's put up just for the sake of attention and/or an outright lie. If you have a picture of yourself with Bruce Lee, don't let people think he was your teacher/training partner/etc. unless he really was. My brother in law has a pic of himself with Floyd Mayweather. If he ran a dojo, it would be a bit misleading if it was mixed in with people he actually knew and trained with. There's a place for everything.

*Etc.

None of the above.

Don't get me wrong - I've been on plenty of seminars around the world, but whilst you may see lots of new stuff, you don't really learn much (or at least internalise it). That comes from your dojo, your sensei.

At best, I see seminars as not so much a way to acquire new skills (or certificates (that's the bottom of the pile)), but as a way to help you crystallise what you already know (or are starting to understand).

Just my thoughts.

K.

Edited by Kusotare

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I've always viewed certificates as something that you have to show others as proof of attendance/completion/etc. I don't have my college degrees nor certifications hanging up anywhere. It it as required to do so, I would.

I've worked with teachers and administrators who had their stuff on the wall. Their mind frame was that it shows students they can do it too, being from the same neighborhood and going to the same school. My mind set is I wouldn't have the job if I didn't have the credentials. Neither way is wrong or right IMO.

I view it as the same thing as my CPR cert. I have it if/when I have to show it.

Just because I don't care to hang up certificates doesn't mean no one else should. I have no problem with MAists display in anything they've earned - certs, trophies, pictures, samuari swords, etc. be proud of what you've earned, and be more proud of the knowledge/experience you've gained.

The only stuff I look down on is stuff that's put up just for the sake of attention and/or an outright lie. If you have a picture of yourself with Bruce Lee, don't let people think he was your teacher/training partner/etc. unless he really was. My brother in law has a pic of himself with Floyd Mayweather. If he ran a dojo, it would be a bit misleading if it was mixed in with people he actually knew and trained with. There's a place for everything.

This is a good answer. I don't display these kinds of certificates if I receive them but I do keep them filed should I ever wish to show I've trained with that person. It's also a nice momento to have to look back on your training. But at the end of the day the piece of paper means little, it's the exchange of ideas that is the real value.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm pretty much with Kusotare on this one.

My thoughts here:

A personal momento of the seminar

No, I don't think so

Possibly, but more as an indication of your enthusiasm and commitment to your MA

Yes, but this is a relative thing, a certificate from a recognized Honbu carries a lot more weight than from some sort of McDojo

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Great responses, thus far! Thanks, all!

I suppose it's the layperson that will assume just the opposite of what all of us here already know. It's the layperson, that's victimized to assume something that's not accurate.

The seminars I've attended, and they're have been tons of them, and if I received a cert for it, I just filed it in the bottom right drawer of my desk that's at home.

Some MAists collect seminar certs for various reasons. The Okinawa Karate-Do Rengokai seminar in Naha, Okinawa states this in there full page ad...

"This [seminar] accelerates their progress and deepens their experience, while preventing or eliminating the bad training habits that lead to ineffective karate technique." I agree that that's what your Sensei is suppose to do. I suppose that getting a different ideology from those listed in my OP, is a important element to that practitioner.

For the layperson, as well as the inexperienced MA student, could it be that receiving their cert gives them the right to teach it to the unsuspecting public?? I suppose they could. However, todays layperson isn't that easily duped one way or another.

Paper can impress!! Can is such a big word.

I'm thinking out loud, just for a conversation.

It really just depends. Certifications I receive are helpful in my line of work, in teaching defensive tactics to other officers. Defense attorneys like to see and ask for certifications or course completion certificates. Its kind of the nature of the beast with the world I live and work in.

Aside from that, for me, its a nice reminder of a great training time, spent with different people of different walks of life. Its a nice memento.

It really just depends. Certifications I receive are helpful in my line of work, in teaching defensive tactics to other officers. Defense attorneys like to see and ask for certifications or course completion certificates. Its kind of the nature of the beast with the world I live and work in.

Aside from that, for me, its a nice reminder of a great training time, spent with different people of different walks of life. Its a nice memento.

Solid post!!

I've received lots of certificates for completing courses and seminars in my professional life, but never for martial arts courses or seminars. The ideas and relationships I get through those events are much more important than a piece of paper that tells people I was there.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I've received lots of certificates for completing courses and seminars in my professional life, but never for martial arts courses or seminars. The ideas and relationships I get through those events are much more important than a piece of paper that tells people I was there.

I completely agree with you, Noah. What I see, is that more practitioners put much more value on that piece of paper. Both from where and whom the piece of paper came from.

It's the listing of these type of certs as part of their resume that just make me drop my head, and shake my head, and deeply sigh. Consumers can be impressed with a long, yet meaningless resume. Makes the consumer feel comfortable in their decision when it comes to spending money.

Proof is on the floor; undeniable. Proof on a piece of paper; deniable!!