• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Summer time training. Do you go on vacation from this too?

In the month of July, it seems everything slows down. Can't visit the doctor, as they are on vacation. Roads are clearer because of vacations. etc.

Since it's an odd month when we all tend to take a break from the norm (less students in class, even), do you tend to train less in the summer? Do you train more because you have more time to do what you really want to?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Great topic, thanks for starting it!!

Personally, I train, no matter the season and the like, and no matter what the reasons as to why students come to class or not for whatever the reason(s) might or might not be because my MA journey must continue, and that requires me to train constantly; I want to improve myself, and my MA.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We are in winter here right now, but in Summer I train more at home, more daylight, warmer outside, and for work reasons I am home a lot more.

I try not to take much of a break at any time, although it can me difficult when traveling.

TBH I am really looking forward to warmer weather so I can hang my heavy bag outside on it's tree and get stuck into it.

Being older, I feel that I am not as flexible in the cooler months, well I feel that way at least!

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

We are in winter here right now, but in Summer I train more at home, more daylight, warmer outside, and for work reasons I am home a lot more.

I try not to take much of a break at any time, although it can me difficult when traveling.

TBH I am really looking forward to warmer weather so I can hang my heavy bag outside on it's tree and get stuck into it.

Being older, I feel that I am not as flexible in the cooler months, well I feel that way at least!

I'd forgotten that we have folks from the Southern Hemisphere on this board. Thanks for your imput on this.

I watch the fighters in the UFC as they travel for media appearances during their training camps and it reminds just how hard it is to train while doing something different from one's norm. Schedule, food, sleep are usually quit different in the warmer weather.

I'm headed back to my hometown for a week in a few weeks. Seeing friends, family events, more food than I can ever eat, visiting old training partners (that I won't have time to train with), etc. I'm trying to plan my workouts during any down time that I have.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Our classes are run during the school year only.

The club we run out of is only open until 6 in the summer (as opposed to 9 during the school year), so we'd have to keep it open just for us. We used to do that, but we've found we'd only get one or two students who actually show up in summer. And that was on a good day. There'd be times it'd be only the instructor. On top of that, others would see the cars in the parking lot and the door unlocked and think the club was open to the public and come in, even if we put signs on the doors (people don't seem to read signs).

Because of all that, we just stop at the end of June and pick back up in September. It takes a few weeks for the kids to get back into the swing of things and regain what they forgot over the summer (just like in regular school), but it is what it is.

Our head instructor, however, invites the adults to come to his house and train in his backyard on nice summer evenings, but so far this summer he's been in the hospital and going to follow up appointments, so we haven't done that yet.

I try to train more. I use to work at colleges, and now I work at a middle school, so I've got summer breaks. My 2 year old and 4 year old daughters occupy a lot of my time (no complaints at all!), but I get some extra time in the summer.

I'm going away for two weeks this summer and am trying to find a Seido dojo to get in at least once or twice, but I don't think it's going to happen.

I try to train the same winter or summer. As I live in England the weather can be wintry one day and summery a day later so I can't let the weather dictate what I do. Summer is also the time when we have the fewest public holidays (Spring is thick with them but after then just one day for harvest and next stop Christmas) so I tend to have more chance to train uninterrupted.

• 4 weeks later...

Well for me i train all the time weather its winter spring summer or fall but on july i go to my cuz house for a month then i come back training again

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

Training and practising are part of my daily habits. Summer is the longest season and it can get dangerously hot and humid. It regularly reaches up to 35 degrees in the shade.

There is no need to reduce intensity if proper precautions are taken against overheating or heat stroke. Summer usually means drinking more water more often and eating salt rocks. It is also a good idea to avoid the hottest time of day whenever possible.