• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The ultimate aim...

JR 137

"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory nor defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants.” – Gichin Funakoshi

I'm a huge fan of Funakoshi. This is the one quote I have the most issues with. It's a great quote, don't get me wrong; but is it truly 100% accurate? If this was the ultimate aim, wouldn't you be better far off diligently studying religion or philosophy to attain the "ultimate aim?"

I think the ultimate aim of karate is being able to survive in a self-defense situation. Not "winning" (whatever that means). The non-physical methods like avoiding places and situations and talking your way out of it are at least just as much a a part of surviving as are the physical methods.

What's your "ultimate aim?" Or did Funakoshi hit the nail on the head? Why or why not?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You've asked a good question here. I think that Funakoshi nails it here. Self-defense is a huge part of what we do when we practice any martial arts. For many of us, this is the principle motivator for joining any martial art in the first place. However, I think that there is a philosophical side to martial arts. Martial arts are just self-defense and a sound body, but a sound mind as well (think of the old adage sound mind; sound body). It's not enough to be a great physical specimen of martial arts, because with no wisdom behind the techniques all we get is ego and brutality. Martial arts requires, I believe, the wisdom to use it. So often we tell stories of how arrogant practitioners are kicked out of schools because they refuse get in line, or a complain of a student of another school who does not practice restraint.

So I think that Funakoshi is correct, martial arts should teach you to leave ego at the door, not caring whether or not you win or lose, only that you learn from each instance and apply that for the betterment of yourself.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

The ultimate aim is a personal issue! And what Funakoshi speaks about is just as important as, Karate has no first attack, along with the other 18 percepts. Are these modern or not? That's for the individual to determine.

It's a choice to accept them and adopt them, as it is to reject it, and shun away from it.

I respect them all, the percepts, but the individual will have to decide their validity across the board, and no one can force ones beliefs.

Imho!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I believe in almost all of Funakoshi's writings.

I say almost because it would be dangerous to follow anything so blindly.

I also remember reading a quote of Funakoshi's which stated his regret for much of the writings from his younger years. He didn't go into specifics, but this clearly demonstrates the realization of his own growth over time.

The particular quote you've chosen I feel is important and true. My Sensei uses it often while teaching.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I think its a good thing.

If taken at its very base level, Karate and Japanese martial arts generally are a mix of Chinese Zen Buddhism and Bushido (later budo). Both heavily carry a responsibility of respect, honor, integrity, loyalty and wisdom which are all important to improve ones character.

The problem is now that Karate has diversified so much that the message gets lost in the noise.

Karate can be taught for competitive sport and fitness and many schools loose at lot of the traditional practices and meanings. Does that make them all McDojo's? I wouldn't think so, the western world doesn't hold these ideals in the same way.

I think it's good to be aware of Karate origins and perhaps carry that responsibility but martial arts is a personal journey and as such is down to the individual.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

This is one of my favorite quotes,something I intend to bring my family up with in everyday life, and I completely agree with it.

Karate for me doesn't stop in the dojo, I believe a true karate-ka should try to apply principles they learn in the dojo to their everyday life. This quote in particular means a lot to me. no matter what gets thrown at me, win or lose the important thing is that I learn and take something away from the experience and be able to develop myself a little bit more.

well it makes sense in my head :)

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I really like the comments/points of view. And I really like Funakoshi's point of view. I just don't know if it's really the whole truth. I think the ultimate aim of Karate is self-preservation. Self-preservation by non-physical means, and by physical means only when all other options have been completely exhausted.

MA and Karate teach many life lessons. My favorite lesson is probably found in breaking. When you're facing an extremely difficult challenge, focus on it completely, visualize the entire action and outcome, and punch through without hesitating. Hesitating in the slightest will get you hurt. I'm not a huge fan of breaking, but it's taught me a lesson that's gotten me through plenty of tough situations.

As to perfection of character, I think that's the ultimate aim of life, not necessarily karate.

The "ULTIMATE" aim is in the development and growth of the person...other aims will be self preservation, better health and fitness, distressing....but the ultimate aim is in perfection of character.

Even monkeys fall from trees

I just started a week ago today. I wanted the accountability and development of self-discipline. Improved fitness is important to me. It would also be great to have the confidence of knowing that I can defend myself, should I need to.

I'm glad that I found this forum.