• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why dont martial artists like to lift weights?

Sid Vicious

In the past few months i have tried to stay with a daily workout( mainly whatever a class at my dojo is doing) and i have noticed a slight change in my stregnth this has come with pucshing myself a little harder everytime i do puch-ups conditioning and what not. So i belive you can get "buff" without have to go do wieghtlifting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another thought for you Sid, what do you mean by lifting weights? That is a very broad subject. People lift weights for many different reasons. Let's see, there's body building, power lifting, strength training, rehabing, sculpting, circuit training etc, etc. Virtually every professional sport has a trainer and a strength program, from boxers to golfers to swimmers and gymnists. Could a martial artist benefit from a well laid out strength program? You bet, as anyone would. As others have said, time is the major obstacle. For me, I choose to do my strength training at home mostly through calistenics, running, and occasionally some weights. The other part is built into my MA workouts. I hope this helps.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I do power lifting and strength training, and I am certainly not slow. plus, I can nearly do the splits. I haven't seen anything negative ever come from it as long as you practice your tech. so they don't get sloppy and you stretch so you dont lose flexibilty.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I belive weights would help a MA person IMO. It builds you up, makes you strong. Even 3 days a week would help. But between doing MA and weights I think it is "to much" for some maybe?

I think doing weight training thou is a good practice and do it myself.

Almost forgot to add, CARDIO is also a very important thing and must not be left out. However MA training can help cardio in a big way, jogging, cycling also is a great thing to do.

J.

Uh....I'm a martial artist....

I like to lift weights....

Does this mean I'm a freak?

....Oh wait, we already knew that!

Anyway, I enjoy lifting weights (tasks are always much more fun when you can imagine the benefits), but also kind of have to, because of some physical difficulties. I have too much flexibility, so my ligaments just go all loosey goosey...I have to build muscle to hold all my parts together!

However, I haven't gone to the gym since September...I have had absolutely NO time to be there, and no form of transportation, either. Life stinks when you can't drive ;)

But when I went, I did enjoy lifting weights--the feeling of accomplishment as weights were increased, the increased strength and muscle size...not to mention finally being able to gain some weight!

I just really wish I could go on a more regular basis :(

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Sometimes lifting can injure your ligaments and other parts of your body if not done correctly. I believe some martial artist dont see the need because they get strength by the other exercise such as push ups. I myself do lift. So I get both types of exercise.

I love weights as well. I just keep getting injuries, probably because I'm trying (<- key word here) to do it at home.

Last night, I injured my thumb by dropping a 10 lbs. dumbell that was strapped onto my forearm by an ankle-weight (don't ask). I'm never going to attempt to perform squats off of something that was designed for a bench-press ever again (please don't ask, all I'm going to say is that I'm a cheap, tall beanpole who is extremely low on time).

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

Last night, I injured my thumb by dropping a 10 lbs. dumbell that was strapped onto my forearm by an ankle-weight (don't ask). I'm never going to attempt to perform squats off of something that was designed for a bench-press ever again (please don't ask, all I'm going to say is that I'm a cheap, tall beanpole who is extremely low on time).

Ok, but at least you're honest. But since you said not to ask twice, I think I may need to. This could get interesting. :lol:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.