• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

why dont martial artists like to lift weights?

Sid Vicious

Hey Iceberg, three words: protein, protein, protein, protein...

oops, thats four!

Eat a lot of protein to get muscle, and you know, fat IS a nutrient. lol

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If weight lifting is bad, and makes you slower, can anyony explain me why was bruce lee still so fast doing a great amount of weight liftings?

If you could improve yourself in only three or two months, everybody would be invencible...

Weight lifting/Body building is bad for martial artists because...

When you weight lift/body build you focus on one part of your body a day (Biceps, Triceps, Quads...) One day a body builder will train on his/her legs then the next day stomach and so on.

This type of training is bad for the mind and body of martial artists because the mind and body slows down the movements as a whole, since they are only use to using one body part at a time and not all at once to perform a technique. When watching Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing or MMA events you will rarely see massive ripped fighters and if you do, you will notice their techniques will be sloppy, poor conditioning due to the amount of weight they are carrying and are much more acceptable to bruising.

Also note that there is a BIG difference between bodybuilding and strength training. Strength trainin focuses on training the neuro system moreso than the muslce, and you will gain strength without much size. Also, strength training focuses on compound exercises, not isolation exercises.

Sometimes lifting can injure your ligaments and other parts of your body if not done correctly. I believe some martial artist dont see the need because they get strength by the other exercise such as push ups. I myself do lift. So I get both types of exercise.

here's the thing with that though..... it won't continually make you stronger. bodyweight exercises turn into muscular endurance exercises. That's not a bad thing, don't get me wrong, but you shouldn't confuse it with strength. I, for example, bench press 265 for 5 reps. A guy that doesn't lift weights but can do 100 pushups has no chance of doing that. he's doing an endurance exercise.

I've periodically lifted weights but find I'm really driven by learning and a sense of accomplishment. I just can't get into weight lifting, pure and simple. If I did, I get kind of obsessed and would end up wanting to compete or something; it is just my nature.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

"If weight lifting is bad, and makes you slower, can anyony explain me why was bruce lee still so fast doing a great amount of weight liftings?"

Bruce lee from my knowledge lifted heavy weights at low reps at the start then went on and did light weights and high reps this is why he remained roughly the same size but had a great increase in strength. i think thats it. please correct me if anything is wrong

"Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole body and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.''-Einstein