• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lets talk kihon

muttley

The new karate club I mentioned a few weeks back opened up last week and tonight I was finally able to go train. As mentioned previously, it's fully kitted out with mats, makiwara and punch/kick bags which is brilliant. The other good thing about tonight was that there was only myself and 1 other training. I have joined as a beginner this time. I have 2 reasons for this, 1 is that it's a different style than Shotokan (it's derived from Kyokushin but not totally focused solely on knockdown as others are) and the other is that I haven't trained in so long, rusty is an understatement!

Anyway, I went, we trained in kihon and I learnt so much. For years I have thought kihon meant purely basic moves but tonight I realise that it doesn't; it means so much more and I have so much to learn now that I am older and (possibly) wiser.

Kihon as explained by the Shihan are exercises to form strength in the body and that is why they are performed in such a way. Having studied Shotokan for so long before quitting, and then continuing "unofficial" training on my own on and off for years; I have become lazy, my movements are weak and I now have loads of hard work to do to rectify this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would have to agree with his definition of kihon. First you normally start out with how to do the move. When you do this you try to explain and show why the move is done in the way it is done. Depending on the teacher determines how fast you get into full on applications of this move.

For example age uke. My instructor when doing the age uke will do an over the head strike till you get it right. As we progress in just kihon he will go through all applications of said block or punch. He likes combining blocks with akkiado techniques.

I have heard of someone from the dojo long before me that was getting pushed around trying out advanced techniques in a sparing match. When he went back to the most basics of basics (for him block attack) he actually won the match. The basics if taught right can be a very powerful thing.

I also agree with you guys about kihon . It does a great job on strengthening your body and also polish your techniques ,the best time to practice doing your technique as perfect as one can is at kihon time .

My sensei said kihon is like the tax you pay , as a beginner you pay a lot and as you go higher in rank you pay less tax , so as a beginner you start paying 100 % tax and as a rough guide when you reach second dan you pay about 30 or 40 % and maybe about 20% when you are 4th dan and above ,but you never stop paying !

Even as a 5th dan and above you always need to pay your dues and taxes meaning one should never stop doing kihon .

never give up !

I love Kihon!

I'm in my late forties now and, whilst in my younger days it was all about fighting, I get more out of basics now.

I've never been one for the gym (bores me silly) and I hate running, so my escape is a good solid hour of Kihon with my fellow students.

As my sensei used to say, when you walk into the dojo the vault door closes behind you and you leave every other part of your life outside.

For that hour you have escaped - until that darn door opens again - and lets the world back in.

Never mind there is always the next session

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I love Kihon!

I'm in my late forties now and, whilst in my younger days it was all about fighting, I get more out of basics now.

I've never been one for the gym (bores me silly) and I hate running, so my escape is a good solid hour of Kihon with my fellow students.

As my sensei used to say, when you walk into the dojo the vault door closes behind you and you leave every other part of your life outside.

For that hour you have escaped - until that darn door opens again - and lets the world back in.

Never mind there is always the next session

K.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

We don't have kihon, but we just call it "basics," but, I think this term is a disservice. These are all important movements, and if they aren't good, then no other techniques will be good, either.

We don't have kihon, but we just call it "basics," but, I think this term is a disservice. These are all important movements, and if they aren't good, then no other techniques will be good, either.

Most English speaking Karate dojo will also refer to Kihon as "basics".

The word Kihon however is more accurately translated as "foundation".

When you think of it that way, it makes a lot more sense.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

In Wado Ryu we technically have two versions. We have what we call line work. This is our kihon. Which is basics blocks, kicks, punches for all grades. We also have 2 person drills called kihon kumite. Identified as number1 and number 2 etc. up to 10. These are are fixed set of drills where the defender wins.

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

In Wado Ryu we technically have two versions. We have what we call line work. This is our kihon. Which is basics blocks, kicks, punches for all grades. We also have 2 person drills called kihon kumite. Identified as number1 and number 2 etc. up to 10. These are are fixed set of drills where the defender wins.

I would hope basic stances form part of your "Kihon" also :D