• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Armlock Flow Drill

Hello, everyone!

My Sensei and I just made this video showing a simple armlock flow drill, using tuidi-waza from our kata. It doesn't teach how to do each individual lock, but rather how to transition from one technique to another in response to your opponent's resistance. I thought some folks here might find it useful!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I saw this on Facebook earlier (after Iain Abernethy shared it). Really like the look of this drill.

What is the kata and style it has come from as I would like to look into this a bit more?

I saw this on Facebook earlier (after Iain Abernethy shared it). Really like the look of this drill.

What is the kata and style it has come from as I would like to look into this a bit more?

Thanks! The initial armbar, and the shoulder lock, are both from Naihanchi. The straight-arm lock and throw are from Pinan Yondan. That said, with some slight modifications, you could use entirely techniques from Naihanchi.

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Thanks! The initial armbar, and the shoulder lock, are both from Naihanchi. The straight-arm lock and throw are from Pinan Yondan. That said, with some slight modifications, you could use entirely techniques from Naihanchi.

Great video, great share :up: Shows some good tuidi o-waza/oyo from Naihanchi and Pinan...

Another good concept to take away from this is taking waza from kata in pieces and practicing them with a partner in (a) controlled step-sparring drills, (b) controlled flow drills, and © free sparring drills. Then, take what was learned about said waza and put it back into the kata. This is a great way for students to grasp understanding what waza from kata are actually doing, what the waza are meant for, why they're doing it, etc...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Would it be ok if I share this with my instructor and post it on mine and the dojo I gotos facebook page?

I guess I am asking if its ok if i share this.

Wow I missed this. Really cool looking drill. I use the shoulder lock shown here quite a bit and have for many years. This is a really good looking way to practice it. Glad you posted this, very cool!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Thanks, everyone!

Would it be ok if I share this with my instructor and post it on mine and the dojo I gotos facebook page?

I guess I am asking if its ok if i share this.

Of course!

Excellent video! Transitions are so often overlooked. It's good to seeing people really focusing on that aspect of the game.