• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Too much speed in kata

Spartacus Maximus

Everything has a place, and a place for everything; this too, applies to Kata. Whether the technique(s) are fast or slow, purposeful focus needs to be applied accordingly to each technique/movement.

Each technique must end before the next one begins! Transitional blends have to do/be just that.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything has a place, and a place for everything; this too, applies to Kata. Whether the technique(s) are fast or slow, purposeful focus needs to be applied accordingly to each technique/movement.

Each technique must end before the next one begins! Transitional blends have to do/be just that.

:)

Just going to say YES!

I see this a lot. A form shouldn't just be blown through to completion. Each form has its own pulse, its own rhythm, its own life, and its important to learn where to pause, where to combo moves, where to tense and where to relax. Moves can and should be done fast, but that doesn't mean the form is done at light speed.

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny you should mention this, because I recently just got my green and white belt, the only reason I didn't get my Purple was because everything was at 170 miles an hour, according to my Sensei.

I have since found that ifyou break moves down, and go a little slower, one tends to think about the technique a bit more and generally perform that technique much better.

Of course, on the flip side of that it's my opinion that one should always have kime, and should always mean a technique and put power into it, but there's a fine line between kime and going too fast, thereby diminishing the quality of the technique.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

A number of factors have to be asked ;

1. What is the kata? Is it a kihongata, or an advanced kata?

2. What is the ration of Go to Ju, and vice versa?

If the kata is for relative beginners, or is a fundamental kata; than a deliberate performance with emphasis on each individual technique being performed strongly might be wise. However, a more advanced kata might more wisely be performed with reference to perceived applications; with an emphasis on performing in sequences rather than individual techniques, and with speed closer to actual combat in relative terms.

One also needs to observe the Waza present in the kata; should one be performing some techniques with smoothness, or softness, in stead of hardness?

Once one has answered these questions, you can determines how fast is too fast for a kata. For example, in my branch of Shorin-Ryu; the kusanku kata are performed with a high degree of speed compared to the other kata, while the Kata Jitte and Jion feature dynamic rhythm changes regarding Ju and Go. This is because they are performed in a manner to reflect the combative principles of the kata. However, the Pinan are all performed in a deliberate move at a time fashion, because as foundation kata the emphasis is on proper body mechanics and good technique over combat application.

R. Keith Williams

Kata are not a performance, they are training. When training one has to ask what it is that one wishes to develop and train accordingly.

Thus a beginner might stick to one steady pace, focusing on technique, but the intermediate and advanced students should not need to train this way but occasionally.

Training kata at speed simulates (however loosely) fighting. It tests the technique built in earlier stages by increasing the forces acting on the body. It also helps foster deeper understanding of the form, as the momentum of a body at speed can offer up different ideas and even highlight links between techniques previously thought of as distinct.

Training with various speeds and rhythms can be a useful way to develop skills from fluidity in motion to broken rhythm in combat to the ability to alter a technique's purpose in mid motion.

I was once told that you cannot do Kata too slow.

Very wise.

My sensei practices tai chi. Often he makes us do kata at "tai chi speed."

Too much speed in kata is also a pet peeve of mine. At a recent grading I witnessed 2 brown belts side by side for the grading. One executing Kanku dai(65 moves), the other executing Jion(47 moves).

The one doing kanku dai finished about 30 seconds before the one doing jion.

It was very nice kanku, but it was far too fast. Everything was blended and hard to recognize technical precision.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

• 1 month later...

In our affiliation, karateka's are timed performing kata as our senior Dan grades set an allocated amount of time one the practitioner begins the movements.

I think this is good for time management and regulation during kata; it also is good for bunkai.

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi