• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

develop leg strength

rabid hamster

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Squat kicks

Squat down like a catcher in baseball stand up and do a front kick with you left leg. Go back down, stand up and do a front kick with you right leg. Do about 50 before or after class this is part of you burn out at the end.

Single Leg Squat Side Kicks

Grab a char and use it for balance. First raise the knee then extend the leg in side kick postion. Then pull the leg back under. Then squat as low as you can then come up and repeat. Never set the foot down. Do sets of 10. Helps balance too.

Step ups or Bounders

Can be done with a box. Step up as you come up bring the leg from the ground up as high as you can think of hitting youself in the chest with your knee. Step back down and change legs. We usually do this on a clock. Say .30 seconds as fast as you can go.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

All good exercises!

Another few i like to do:

1/2 and 1/4 speed kicking drills,

Leg raises. Lay on left side, right leg straight and raise and lower your right leg from horizontal to vertical, up and down. Repeat on other side.

Lay on back with both legs straight straight up towards the ceiling. keeping feet parrallel open and close legs.

Or 'doggy style' exercises. on all-fours, straighten one leg at a time to the rear, or raise knee out to side.

Though in my opinion results come much faster with resistance training (ankle weights, which are not expensive)

Enjoy!

Bretty

One thing I like to do is after a couple sets of kicking combos I slowely send out a side or front kick, and hold it as high as I can for as long as I can. It challenges the flexibility just as much as the strength in the supporting muscles.

Lately, I've been using ankle weights to do something I call hamstring curls. The hamstrings are often the most neglected muscle in an athlete. I strap dumbells on my feet with ankle weights and raise 'em up and down (15 reps by 3). I know I used the forbidden word: "dumbells", but it's just something to say to Betty. It has improved the performance of my hook kicks dramatically.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

A good traditional exercise is to sit in as low a horse stance as you can for as long as you can. This produces an incredible burn when you're starting out (stop when your legs start to shake) and tones all the major muscles of the legs as well as increasing flexibility in the groin. Once you find it too easy, try it whilst holding light weights, which you can improvise if you dont want to buy.

Argh! Yes, these are awesome ...(something so simple that can be so grueling!) but oh so effective for developing leg strength & endurance and also firms up the ol' caboose :brow:

We have been doing these in class as part of our "new" stretching" routine ... do your low (very low!) horsestance, and be sure to tilt the pelvis forward, hold in the abs and keep the back straight. Fold your arms in front of you as you do this for some added :x ...

You can tell you have worked the legs properly when they begin to "shake" .... sometimes I find it difficult to drive home some nights from class!

Very good tips from you all!

Get in a horse stance.

Have a partner stand up on you using your thighs for his foot stand and putting his hands on your shoulders. You can rest your hands on your knees until he gets into positon.

Stay there for 3 minutes.

Your legs WILL shake.

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

Squats, squats, squats and more squats. If your a beginner then your goal should be 100 if your an advenced student then 200-250 squats. Also kick a heavy bag for 1/2 an hour if your a beginner and if your advenced then 1-3 hours. These are only 2 Muay Thai drills to get your legs strong and as you may or may not know, many of us Muay Thai practitioners have big coke bottle legs due to this type of training. Edited by Thai_Kick

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

If you are not going to use weights, then running would be great. I am sure you could find aerobic like excersises to help tone, and build up strength.

Still if you are looking at building your lags, weights would be given some serious thought as it will be the most effective. IMO

J.