• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You have only 30min

Everyone at one time or another finds it difficult to balance work and other important daily activities with training or practising. Out of interest and for anyone who may think themselves too busy, I propose this thread.

The key to daily training in the martial arts is using time efficiently. Thirty minutes or even less is enough if used in a focussed manner. So here is the question: In a limited time of 30min or less, what would you concentrate on practising?

For myself: a brisk 2minutes of fast non-stop punches and kick combos for warming up. Next basic punches and kicks first slow and step by step, then full power. Basic kata and my latest kata or bunkai set for the rest of the time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it depends on what I wanted to focus on. After warm ups, focusing on one or two kata seems like a good way to spend the half hour if I didn't want to practice techniques for another area.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

If I am busy it has to be kata. The meditative aspects of kata training help to relax me while I keep up my general activity levels and have a good stretch out. Either that or half an hour pounding the heavy bag.

Depends on what I have available. Can't do bag work without a bag. Can't do kata effectively/fully without enough floor space.

I'll do whatever I feel needs the most work that day. If I've been feeling tight for a while, I might do a few minute warmup followed by stretching the entire time.

I probably should set aside 30 a few days a week to do stuff, but with a 4 year old and a 2 year old, once I have a few minutes of quiet, I'm on the couch in a vegetative state trying to decompress.

My own training is a supplement to my class training so it depends on what I want to improve there and what we've been working on in the week. At the moment I'm trying to raise my fitness levels again so 30 mins skipping or running or maybe some HIIT type work and then stretching.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Conditioning before all else. Technique means nothing without the strength, speed, coordination, and control required to effectively pull it off. I would put at least 20 minutes into push-ups, crunches, cardio, weight training, calisthenics, ect. I'd spend the rest of time on a bag.

Van

• 2 weeks later...

15-20min Cardio and Bodyweight circuits at high intensity.

10-15 min on techniques for power and speed, basically to fatigue and then to perform past that barrier.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

If my time for MA training is limited, I just keep on punching. First with stationary stances or walking drills to warm-up, then with tenshin against air (like shadow boxing), then with tenshin against a heavy bag. Constant movement while while I keep on punching...

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...