bigjono

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shortest and simplest definition of a mcdojo is a school mainly and mostly existing as a business, where developing practical defense skills is not emphasized or absent. There are however varying degrees of this and in actuality it is not always so clearly defined.

...where developing practical defense skills is not emphasized or absent.

I would say that this only applies where practical self defence is a necessary part of the art. I have seen Modern Wushu McDojos and I don't think anyone would regard modern sport arts such as Wushu as practical self defence. Same goes for Kendo and Iaido, in cases such as these then tradition is paramount, a lot of the stuff you learn doesn't work unless everyone is sitting in seiza parallel to the wall or wearing full armour. I would suggest that in most cases a McDojo puts technical or traditional considerations secondary to the business ethic. It is possible to get a good martial training in some McDojos if your wallet will stretch to it.

I do not think the absence of self defence within a school makes it a McDojo.

And, whilst I would agree that there needs to be a degree of active sparring / combative application, I don't think creating "ultimate fighters" is the be-all and end-all.

Karate as Budō is far more multifaceted and as Spodo Komodo alludes to, there are also cultural and historical considerations to bear in mind.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

The shortest and simplest definition of a mcdojo is a school mainly and mostly existing as a business, where developing practical defense skills is not emphasized or absent. There are however varying degrees of this and in actuality it is not always so clearly defined.

I'd agree with just the statement in bold.

There may be schools that do care about student development and improvement in the style being taught, but the teachings fall short as far as practical defense skills.

If those schools do that and don't emphasize the business aspect too much, then one might not consider what they teach to be effective, but I still would not call those schools McDojos.

That's a great post, Should be read by every new MA student.

Thanks very much for the link.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

There may be a so-called 'classic' mcdojo definition, but it is rare that a single school will have every single aspect of it. There are always variations and a school which is honest about what is taught not be included in this category. Usually with so-called mcdojos, there is a certain element of contradiction if not outright deception.

A school teaching Olympic taekwondo would not be a mcdojo because it clearly states that it is sport/competition focussed. If the same school, for example presented itself as a place to train for anything other than that, and had excessive fees compared to other similar schools, it might be called a mcdojo. It is the combination of these points that defines a mcdojo rather than just one.

I'm told it refers to martal arts school which is only interested in making money. This doesn't neccessarily mean they don't train well, but it is very often the case.

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/93-signs-of-a-mcdojo/

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair for those schools. If they train well, why should they be shamed for charging a premuim or showing interest in moeny? A good instructor is a trade just like plumber or electrican.