• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just got my 9th Kyu...

Hello! Basically I have just passed my first grading and not I am an orange belt.

I am quite new to Karate and have been doing Shotokan-Ryu for about 3 months now and there are a couple of questions I would like to ask!

I am with the JKAE (Japan Karate Association England) and basically my instructor didn't grade me but the grading was a set location where practitioners from different clubs were also grading in the same location as me, what do people think about this kind of system? Do you think this is more beneficial than having your own instructor grade you? In all of the Martial Arts I've done, Karate is the only one where I've graded this way, so it's a new experience for me.

Another question is that on my first grade, my instructor said I might be able to double grade if they let me, but they didn't let me and a couple of other people did double grade! What was I doing wrong for them to not double grade me? Even though I did everything right and they said I did a very good grade at the end when they told me I had passed?

Also, it looks like you can half grade as I saw many people with orange belts and white stripes through the middle and I think I saw it was called a Kari grade? what do Kari grades mean? Does that mean they only think you've done half the job and not the full job of passing?

Last thing: what does Osu/Oss mean? does it mean yes? If so, then why do we not just say 'Hai'?

Sorry for my questions, I'm quite new to Karate and I want to know more about how things work within my organisation!

Thank You!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello! Basically I have just passed my first grading and not I am an orange belt.

I am quite new to Karate and have been doing Shotokan-Ryu for about 3 months now and there are a couple of questions I would like to ask!

I am with the JKAE (Japan Karate Association England) and basically my instructor didn't grade me but the grading was a set location where practitioners from different clubs were also grading in the same location as me, what do people think about this kind of system? Do you think this is more beneficial than having your own instructor grade you? In all of the Martial Arts I've done, Karate is the only one where I've graded this way, so it's a new experience for me.

Another question is that on my first grade, my instructor said I might be able to double grade if they let me, but they didn't let me and a couple of other people did double grade! What was I doing wrong for them to not double grade me? Even though I did everything right and they said I did a very good grade at the end when they told me I had passed?

Also, it looks like you can half grade as I saw many people with orange belts and white stripes through the middle and I think I saw it was called a Kari grade? what do Kari grades mean? Does that mean they only think you've done half the job and not the full job of passing?

Last thing: what does Osu/Oss mean? does it mean yes? If so, then why do we not just say 'Hai'?

Sorry for my questions, I'm quite new to Karate and I want to know more about how things work within my organisation!

Thank You!

First of all..congratulations on your promotion! I think I got my 9th kyu back in the spring of 1975...lol.

As to all of your questions...those are questions only your instructor/sensei can answer..we can't because we don't know you or how your class is run. We don't have a clue how your testing works either..so ask your sensei, or a senior student.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

...I am with the JKAE (Japan Karate Association England) and basically my instructor didn't grade me but the grading was a set location where practitioners from different clubs were also grading in the same location as me, what do people think about this kind of system? Do you think this is more beneficial than having your own instructor grade you?...

Different clubs/associations have different grading systems. For the larger associations, yes it is more common for the gradings to occur like this, I guess in a way, it's to ensure that everyone is graded the same way and at the same time.

What do I think of them? Personally I don't have any strong views either way. I've graded both ways...

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

Congratulations there Kwon.

Don't be too worried about double grading, it's a journey, not a race. Enjoy it.

Osu!

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

Thanks for the information guys!

@Balltahr: Don't worry, I won't rush ahead as I like to take my time on things, especially gradings and I am really happy to get my orange belt! I was just wondering why I didn't double grade when I did the grading when they said I did a vood grading and other 10th kyu's did double grade!

Congratulations on your promotion!

Unfortunately, none of us can really tell you why you didn't double grade, because we weren't there. Perhaps you did very well for a 9th kyu, but not quite well enough for 8th? Perhaps you simply haven't been training long enough to meet the requirement for 8th? Maybe you don't know the new material needed to test for 8th? Maybe the panel was tired and wanted to go home early? Who knows! In the end, it's not that important, so I wouldn't worry about it :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Congrats on earning your promotion / grade!

:bowofrespect:

As others have said, don't concern yourself with double gradings. MA is a lifelong journey, a scenic route through the countryside.

:karate:

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

Thanks guys!

Yeah I won't concern myself and I know it is a journey and I am very much looking forward to it!

When I did ITF Taekwon-Do, I took my time then aswell as I think if you progress too quickly, you can't develop your moves properly like what happened when I did ITA Taekwondo back when I was much younger, I got to senior 2nd dan black belt in just 3 years and it kind of set me back a little for when I did ITF but Martial Arts is basically an over time process!

I'm not too bothered about not double grading, afterall I had never had an orange belt before lol

Even though ITF TKD and Shotokan Karate are similar in many ways, they are also completely different and I have to unlearn the sine wave in TKD to do the hip twisting motion in shotokan Karate which is actually proving difficult to do, but I think I'll get there eventually, I practice alot at home aswell so hopefully it will come!