• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting a new style.

I like your idea of calling it taekwondo or combat hapkido taekwondo to identify it. For me it wouldn't be as simple to identity the other martial arts because there's about six that I mildly incorporate into the program. 70% or so is Tang Soo Do curriculum so it would make sense to kelp that name alone.

Can I ask what style Tae Kwon Do you practice? I incorporate WTF style taekwondo into my program but only a few one-steps because I like that they are kicking oriented whereas my my Tang Soo Do one-steps are more hand strikes as breaks, at certain levels anyway. The first school I ever went to however was and I TF school. So, just curious what you do man. I would have trained in Tae Kwon do solely but over the years of moving around It just did not work that way. I often went with the school that had the best energy and best instruction, which I believe left me with less peer of a style but more growth as a martial arts instructor because the emphasis of quality I was looking for was placed on that not the style.

thanks for taking the time to read my long posts.

It's a habit to ramble haha.

I don't mind at all you asking what my style is. I currently study what is referred to in my organization at Chung Do Kwan style TKD, but I don't know how accurate that is. We use ITF forms (but not all of them), but without the sine wave, and with some minor differences in techniques. However, our sparring style is based off the Olympic format. I started my Martial Arts journey in the American Taekwondo Association, and earned 2nd degree black belt in that style. I'm currently a 4th degree in the Traditional Taekwondo Association.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with people incorporating techniques from other arts into their art. What's wrong with incorporating the Muay Thai clinch into karate, it's principals or even drills from it that strengthen that strengthen the students' skills in that range of fighting? What's wrong with incorporating some judo throws, locks or chokes into a karate curriculum? How about incorporating some Aikido balance and force redirection?

There's no one right way of doing things. As long as these things are complimenting the "traditional curriculum" (for a lack of a better phrase) and the instructor has a solid and functional understanding of it, rather than learned some stuff after a weekend seminar or the like, I see no issue with it.

Wouldn't some Aikido force redirection principals help the student better understand/perform some kata bunkai? Wouldn't a few judo throws/chokes do the same?

Too many people say one art has all the answers. Maybe karate does have all the answers. Maybe understanding the principals of other arts and incorporating them (perhaps not the specific techniques) will help answer the questions to all the "answers" the chosen art has.

But incorporating principals from others and/or adding a few techniques and/or drills from another art doesn't make an entirely new art. Calling it something entirely new is absurd IMO.

Keep in mind that Gichen Funakoshi spent some time at Jigoro Kano's dojo. He reportedly taught Kano some kata, which Kano incorporated into his Judo kata. Do you really think that was a one-way street?

Bushido_Man that's interesting, I've never heard of that style. Very cool though. I never cared for forms while I did ITF forms, just didn't appeal to me. I started to enjoy the forms once I started tang Soo do, at least the way I learned them which is really Soo Bahk Do. They have a great deal of pace changes which I enjoy. Thanks for the responses man.

It seems the general idea of incorporating other techniques into a system is accepted just as jr 137 posted. Some of what I Soo pushes the envelope a bit more though. I actually teach a few taekwondo forms and hung gar Kung fu forms with tang Soo do. I do NOT replace the tang Soo do curriculum for the most part but add to it. I never felt I wanted to make a name for my mixture but again, I don't know that it's a true statement to say I teach tang Soo do, it's not wrong because I do and it's the core, not only of the curriculum but also the mental approach.

In the end I try not to overthink it as I'm doing now in trying to discuss much of it lol. I want to be free to build a program that is great, and not restricted by the the politics of style. As to the topic I'm not one to create a style, just blend what I feel I want to Make my program fun and deep.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!