• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tabletop Gaming: Do You Game?

CredoTe

Great call, CredoTe!

My mainstay was DnD. 1e thru HS and most of college with some 2e input. Let's face it, Gygax had some non-sense in 1e :)

I did a stint in 3e and it was pretty cool. The addition of power mongering splat books started to wear on me though. That said, the feat trees and skill customization was money.

By the time 4e was getting popular I was a kid into it and a second close behind. The minimal exposure I had was enough to not really care for it. Defiantly a different flavor. I can't imagine I'll ever look at 5. Now, if someone breaks out an older version and I'm free that's a different story :)

I played a few other role players in college but really none held on once the real world took over like DnD did.

I am glad you mentioned Hero Quest because I burned a lot of time on that really simple, really really FUN game. I managed to find a copy for my kids and we enjoy it occasionally.

I tabletop wargamed a bit when Lord of the Rings released their mini game thru GW. But never really deep.

Yeah, they tried to rectify some of Gygax's nonsense designs / rules with 2nd Ed. Even with 2nd Ed, there were some things that mucked things up. However, a good, creative DM/GM could fiat (with minimal "house rules") things to make sense of it all.

3rd Ed is where it started to come apart for me, too. I liked a lot of the game mechanics they had in it, especially with bringing back some of the mechanics of 1st Ed, but all of the "multi-classing" and splat books required just to have a colorful character was rather annoying. Not to mention that 3rd Ed, IMHO, shifted D&D from role-playing / adventure at its core to power hack-and-slash gaming.

Hero Quest was the first fantasy adventure game I ever played. My interest in it led to playing D&D. Battle Masters is a war game based upon the Hero Quest line, and is like pre-schooler Warhammer with training wheels. But, I like it because it's simple, fast, easy set up, easy tear down, and doesn't take a fortune (in money or space) to acquire an army, scenery/terrain, etc. (From what I understand, both Hero Quest and Battle Masters takes place within the Warhammer universe somewhere.)

:)

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first job was painting for a small fantasy miniatures company just down the road from me which ended up becoming Games Workshop. These days I play mainly historical (or pseudo-historical) wargames. My main periods are Classical Greece through to the late medieval era and a secondary interest in imaginary eighteenth century nations played with 1960s style miniatures and old-school rules. My other vice is Subbuteo, table soccer of the flick-to-kick variety using 1970s style teams I paint myself. Oh for the days when footballers didn't look like mobile advertising boards...

Oooooooo.... :o That's so coool...

*Nerd spaz-out*

:rofl:

Remember the Tii!

We completed Risk: Metal Gear Solid last night. My youngest brother won. :)

Oooooo... :dodgy:

Time for a rematch... :brow:

Remember the Tii!

I haven't played a tabletop game before. Dungeons & Dragons seems pretty fun, though.
With a good GM, its a blast. But time consuming...

There's the Wayne's World timewarp again.... doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo...

2 days later, the grimey, grubby, dazed nerdo-adventurers emerge from the cavernous gaming den that is knee-deep in the dead. The brutal carnage of zombies, goblins, hobgoblins, the occasional gelatinous cube, and cheetos/doritos are strewn about the floor, walls, and ceiling, a reminder of the doom the nerdo-adventurers had escaped. Then, with thoughts of, "this is awesome!", reality sets back in...

:weirdlook:

Remember the Tii!

I haven't played a tabletop game before. Dungeons & Dragons seems pretty fun, though.

Tabletop gaming covers a lot of stuff. :) Board games, card games, dice games and more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabletop_game

• 2 weeks later...

If you have alot of internet friends or even friends that have a computer you should check out steam shop page and look for table top simulator.