• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Post Videos Of Your Sensei/Grandmaster/Teacher

Nice video. I was surprised at how much/how often he went to one leg, but leg checking kicks makes sense. It keeps the hands available for use, which he did with all the striking and locking. The side stepping was pretty subtle, too, and I also found some of the side stepping stances having the feet close together interesting, too. Thanks for sharing it, Montana.

Look at the video again in regards to the leg checks...notice alot of them not only block his kicks, but also protect Sensei Lindseys groin, while at the same time making his opponent lose balance.

The change of body (side stepping) is taught in many systems, but in all honesty I've NEVER seen these other systems use it in refereeing about 20 years of tournament sparring. I competed in only 1 tournament (my students guilt tripped me into it) and I used it alot. In every instance I nailed the guy cleanly coming in, yet not once did I get a point from it because the judges didn't see that his technique missed, and mine connected. However, my opponents each time touch gloves with me and stated "You got ripped off man...". or words to that effect, becuase he knew I had him cold, but the judges didn't see it. No biggie..I still won 2 of my 3 matches in single elimination, heavy weight black belt division.

One thing I've never liked about sparring is that it often has seemed to me that even glancing blows tend to get scored, and a block that absorbs or redirects most of the power, but may still glance, gets scored. The strategies of point fighting and useful self-defense are often miles apart.

Agreed!

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my sensei Dave Hazard demonstration at an event back in 1997 ,he comes in at minute 3 ...

https://youtu.be/cImNQ4pKhQE

this is a promotional video of his book ,born fighter . I recommend any martial artist regardless of style to read it ,you won't be disappointed.

never give up !

The Okinawa government website has or used to have awesome video clips of style heads. My teacher's teacher was included there among at least ten others of that generation. Unfortunately I lost the link and am not sure the website is still available.Out of respect for my teachers privacy, I would rather not post him here.

This is a Video of my Sifu Jesus Flores of Flores Bros. Kenpo karate Studios doing a 2 man Technique called Falcons of Force

FBKKS 4 life

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

The Okinawa government website has or used to have awesome video clips of style heads. My teacher's teacher was included there among at least ten others of that generation. Unfortunately I lost the link and am not sure the website is still available.Out of respect for my teachers privacy, I would rather not post him here.

Used to. wonder-okinawa is not quite the same site it used to be.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

That's really too bad, I wonder why they thought changing it. If I am not mistaken, many of the videos on their website can be found on YouTube. Nearly all the masters featured on that site are deceased or not longer teaching because of their advanced age.