• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sacrifice for martial arts

But surely if one chooses to dedicate one's life to the practise of martial arts, and every life choice is made with this as a priority there must be at some point; difficulties. The most painful have been the loss of close relationships. not far behind are years away in unfamiliar places away from home and family.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But surely if one chooses to dedicate one's life to the practise of martial arts, and every life choice is made with this as a priority there must be at some point; difficulties. The most painful have been the loss of close relationships. not far behind are years away in unfamiliar places away from home and family.

No argue, from me!! These possibilities are just around the corner. It's how they are meet, when they occur, speaks a lot about many things. If this is a mistake of my zealous youth or not, that court is still out, but, my first marriage, after 14 years, ended when my wife made me choose her or my MA journey...I hope she's doing fine, wherever she is!! My current marriage, 23 years, gets stronger day by day.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've actually scheduled my vacations around my BJJ classes so I can get weekly training in. I've also asked at work at one time for a special shift one day a week for my own personal dojo to. I think I bargained my days off at one point so I wouldn't have to give up a morning class. I'm sure my wife could list a lot more. But she supports my addiction.

I spend the night at my mom's house twice a week so I can attend classes. My little sisters all still live with her and they don't work until later in the day and so blast the TV loudly or yell and fight until 2am while I usually try to get to sleep by 10.

I work away from home a lot, at random times of the year also and hate to miss classes, which inevitably happens. I am guilty of tweaking some dates of international work travel to make sure I still grade with my classmates.

Coincidence, that last night I was chatting on facebook to arrange training at a Moscow dojo, as I will be there for 3 weeks later in the year on a work trip.

Juggling life and MA can be tough, depends on your priorities I guess..........

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

I work away from home a lot, at random times of the year also and hate to miss classes, which inevitably happens. I am guilty of tweaking some dates of international work travel to make sure I still grade with my classmates.

Coincidence, that last night I was chatting on facebook to arrange training at a Moscow dojo, as I will be there for 3 weeks later in the year on a work trip.

Juggling life and MA can be tough, depends on your priorities I guess..........

I work away a lot too but find its great for visiting other schools and dropping in on old MA friends. I selectively try to make sure the hotels I stay in are within a half hour of a friendly dojang if I can.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Everyone has different priorities but what is impossible to control or predict is weather or not these are compatible with those of others around. Having martial arts as a priority is the reason for a good portion of difficult life choices for many a lifetime devotee