• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So, it seems there is a new dojo opening up in my area

muttley

A couple of weeks ago I took my daughter to her regular ballet class in Kent (UK), her school is based in a small village in a converted industrial unit. While waiting in the car park to go collect her, I noticed that a previously run down building had sprouted a sign "Karate Justsu Kai" together with the emblem for The World Independent Budo Kai association. I hadn't noticed this before.

Today, on doing the same dad-taxi to ballet I saw the place again and saw that someone was doing work on it so I went to speak to the guy. Turns out the dojo will be opening soon and is an off-shoot of Kyokushin Kai, I believe it is linked to this place http://www.karatejutsukai.com/assoc/

Anyway, the guy invited me in to have a look around and see what he is setting up, the place looks fantastic, just how I think a dojo should look. Mats permanently in place, punch bags hanging from the wall and to top it all off, makiwara attached to the walls. I got talking to him and he explained what he wants to do, he is looking to open on monday, wednesday and friday evenings 19:15-20:45 but said that, as I work shifts we could come to an arrangement for training during the daytime, well I couldn't believe what I was hearing, sounded fantastic!

I am now looking forward to this dojo opening up and starting to train again, a really welcoming guy and I am sure the dojo will be a huge success!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A well equipt dojo, right from the start, sounds like he's doing it properly. Good stuff.

"We don't have any money, so we will have to think" - Ernest Rutherford

In all honesty, it's the first dojo I have seen around here that has been purpose fit, most are just school halls etc where it is literally a space to train, no equipment etc.

Sounds like a great opportunity! Keep us posted on it, please! :karate:

I will do. I have been to many dojo's and I have made the same fundamental mistake every time; I have tried to continue from where I left off. With this one, although I have told the sensei of my background in Shotokan, I aim to start from the beginning and see where sensei thinks I should be.

Sounds like you lucked out! Congratulations on finding a new dojo to train at!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

That definitely sounds like what I have in mind when I get mine going. The one biggest thing that I am concentrating on is making sure I have equipment. I know that people wouldn't want to just go into an empty room and train, I feel that you should have bags, mirrors, appropriate space, and finally matts that are there, not rolled out when needed.. The place sounds nice.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Certainly if I were to open my own dojo (an idea I still haven't given up on at some stage in my life!) then I would want it to be properly equipped as this one is. In fact my idea isto have a dojo with a proper martial arts shop connected to it.