• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lack of Control

Shotokannon

If it's agreeable with both students, and with the CI, heavy-handed sparring can take place. The two key...BOTH STUDENTS...and the deciding key...the CI have to take place first. The CI, of course, can end the agreement at the CI's discretion.

Learning can't take place when one's being place in a situation that's uncomfortable across the board. Stop...bow to your sparring partner...quietly request that your sparring partner to ease up on the contact...continue sparring UNTIL it appears that the heavy-handed contact will only continue.

CONTROL isn't a request; it's the right of every student/practitioner!!

As I've mentioned many times before, Greg, our Kancho, and I Kumite extremely hard and deliberate with each other. It's what we enjoy, and it helps us across the board. Other Shindokan Senior Ranks will not and do not Kumite in the manner that Greg and I do, nor do they join us on the floor during our sessions.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as any problem that gets only worse when allowed to continue, a lack of control must be dealt with immediately. The longer it is allowed to continue, the bigger the problem and the greater the risk. It is a good precaution for either the partners or the instructor to clearly establish the level of contact before starting the drills or kumite bouts. Warn everyone in advance and remind them of the goal. Nobody ever made progress by injuring all their training partners.

Just as any problem that gets only worse when allowed to continue, a lack of control must be dealt with immediately. The longer it is allowed to continue, the bigger the problem and the greater the risk. It is a good precaution for either the partners or the instructor to clearly establish the level of contact before starting the drills or kumite bouts. Warn everyone in advance and remind them of the goal. Nobody ever made progress by injuring all their training partners.

I wonder if that's applicable to Oyama!! He was quite heavy handed, I hear and read.

:P

I am also quite familiar with Oyama and the reports on the man and his methods. Nevertheless there is quite a big difference between intense training and trying to "win" or willfully injuring a partner during a drill or kumite practise session. Competition kumite such as in a match is a whole other can of worms, though.

This person is either a bully or lacks good technique ,have a word with him and if he doesn't change then either stop sparring with him or have a word with your sensei or hit him hard !

there is no need for that way of sparring , in the dojo we help each other to gain knowledge in martial arts and prepare us for self defence in the street ,if we keep injuring each other after a while there will be no one to train with !

I have had that before even in basic one step kumite training , you attack as fast and as hard as you can trying to score on your opponent ,thus giving him a good work out to test his own defence and some take it the wrong way and on the counter when they have a free shot they hit you hard !

I tell them try and score on me when you are on the attack and I have the chance to block ,not on the free shot on counter .

never give up !

• 1 month later...
If someone goes in too heavy during sparring I'll hit them back with equal force. Usually makes them think.
I've seen this happen before, and as an instructor, its important to really monitor this. If you get two guys or gals that just like to bang, something like this can escalate out of control in no time. In my time coming up the ranks, I never had an issue matching levels with someone, but it almost never ended up being a productive learning session.

If someone goes in too heavy during sparring I'll hit them back with equal force. Usually makes them think.
I've seen this happen before, and as an instructor, its important to really monitor this. If you get two guys or gals that just like to bang, something like this can escalate out of control in no time. In my time coming up the ranks, I never had an issue matching levels with someone, but it almost never ended up being a productive learning session.

Solid post!!

The one thing Greg and I do at the end of our "banging" sessions, we high five and hug in a sincere manner!! Do we ever, or have we ever escalated to an unprofessional level? No; it's not in our make-up to do so. We've a gentleman's agreement that's long standing.

:)

What if you can't hit back as hard? What if hitting back as hard makes them go harder? Makes them go harder than you can go? It's not a problem only when you can hit harder than everyone else in the dojo.

I have the mentality that I'm there to learn, not to get beat up on. I'm all for solid contact, but there's a very fine line between enough and too much. Everyone has their limit. Knowing classmates' limits only really comes from experience sparring with them.

I haven't had anyone hit me too hard consistantly. If I did, I'd ask them to ease up a bit in private, in a non-confrontational manner. A little bit of humor goes a long way. If that fails, I'd speak to the CI.

If I was hitting someone too hard, I'd definitely want to know it. We're all there to learn from each other.