• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Still orange tip

Ok so its been around 2 years since a started Karate and i kinda had an accident a while ago and was disabled for about 4 months but now im back into karate. But wouldn't it be time i get to grade? apparently according to a chart I have from my karate school, you only need minimum of 6 weeks in order to attempt grading to get your orange belt.

But my instructor says here is the normal instructors standards, and he put his hand near the floor then he said now here are my standards and puts his hand near his head. So i want to get orange belt but I will feel embarrassed to ask for some reason.

So what should i do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First thing to consider is what type of injuries the accident caused and how serious. Different injuries take different time to heal and some of the more seious ones require rehabilitation therapy.

Besides that, karate like other martial arts cannot be learned quickly. Time in grade is just a guideline and not a guarantee. If a student is distracted by the pursuit of grades and keeps looking at others, there will be less attention to be spent on personal training.

Quality is more important than moving onto the next thing. Quality takes time to develop and students should not rush to learn a great number of techniques. It is always best to polish and improve the tools one has rather than acquiring a new set without knowing how to use them. There is nothing shameful in taking more time to learn something.

So was he saying that the only thing stopping you from grading is your own lack of confidence? If so then you know what to do...what have you got to lose by trying?

Nah he was just trying to say that he has higher standards than most other instructors. He also says/claims that he only likes letting me grade if he is %100 perfectly sure that you will pass.

Just train...rank will be earned when it's time and appropriate, not until then!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Just wait and relax + train hard. Because time in grade is just a guide of when you should expect to grade.

Since you were out injured, your instructor probably just wants you to have more time on the mat prior to grading.

May I ask what was the injury that you sustained?

The more time on the mats you have is better than less. Even with a natural skill you need time on the mat to refine that skill.

Just train...rank will be earned when it's time and appropriate, not until then!!

:)

Bob is right on here. Your instructor will bring you along, and most of the time, instructors have their student's best interests in mind. If you trust your instructor at all, then just keep training and the gradings will take care of themselves.