• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I travel for work and want to take lessons

Hello

I have trained martial arts on and off for 8 years. I have obtained green belt in tae Kwon do, but haven't trained in a year. The last school I attended would only offer me a one year contract at $125 per month, even though I told them I travel frequently. I am usually gone for a month and home for 2 months, then repeat. It didn't work out for me at the last school so I am looking for a new place.

How can I find a school that will allow me to train and progress, while being gone for work every 3rd month?

I don't want to train at a mcdojo, but every legitimate school I've talked to wants to start me over at white belt and lock me into a long term contract.

When I was younger, I started and stopped at many schools. I'm pretty efficient at all of the forms, kicks and punches up until blue belt level, so I feel it's redundant to keep starting over at white belt.

When I explain to any instructor my work schedule, they never seem to listen. They just try to give me a long term contract and start me over at white belt.

Any suggestions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First...Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

Hello

I have trained martial arts on and off for 8 years. I have obtained green belt in tae Kwon do, but haven't trained in a year. The last school I attended would only offer me a one year contract at $125 per month, even though I told them I travel frequently. I am usually gone for a month and home for 2 months, then repeat. It didn't work out for me at the last school so I am looking for a new place.

From what I'm reading, I assume you want to continue in TKD. You've earned a Green belt; very good!! Did that Dojang offer you anything after the one-year contract expired? Like additional year(s)? If not, I find that strange. However, if they didn't, then maybe your work schedule disturbs them, it shouldn't, but stranger things are known to happen. If they did, but you just don't like that TKD school, then, OK!

How did it not work out for you at the last dojang??

How can I find a school that will allow me to train and progress, while being gone for work every 3rd month?

Personally, I don't see that being a problem, if I was your instructor. In a calendar year, you're absent from the dojang once every quarter; therefore, 4 months in total. That allows you 8 months in-house for training. I believe that your last school in uncomfortable with you not being in-house more often, and imho, that's a personal issue with that Chief Instructor, for one reason or another.

For me, I'd have absolutely no problem whatsoever with your work schedule. Seeing that I test my students once every quarter, and if you missed a testing cycle due to your work schedule, I'd observe you in class to see if you've been practicing in your absence, and taking your work schedule in consideration, I'd then decide from there on, but with no guarantee to test you separately, if at all. NO RANK and NO TESTING CYCLE IS EVER GUARANTEED...EVER!!

I don't want to train at a mcdojo, but every legitimate school I've talked to wants to start me over at white belt and lock me into a long term contract.

When I was younger, I started and stopped at many schools. I'm pretty efficient at all of the forms, kicks and punches up until blue belt level, so I feel it's redundant to keep starting over at white belt.

Not every legitimate school offers contracts; I don't!! Even if a school does offer a contract, that doesn't mean that that school is a McDojo!!

As far as the white belt requirement, well, that's normal when a student is going from one school to another, but usually, it's representative if the student is entering a NEW style; that's usually a governing body requirement, more than a CI requirement, even though CI's have that authority, for the most part.

Karate has more different styles than Carter has liver pills, and when a student goes from one style to another, starting back a white belt is normal. Why? You're not ranked in THAT style, therefore, you start over once again.

I'll let TKD KF members speak towards that, but I do believe that that requirement is similar to the Karate world. There's many Korean MA, but there's not many different TKD styles, whereas, there's different TKD governing bodies, i.e., ITF, WTF, and so on and so forth.

If you're switching styles...governing bodies...often, then, imho, it's not redundant at all. It's how the cookie crumbles in the MA world. It sucks, but, it is what it is. Don't want to start over as a white belt often, then find a TKD school that fits YOUR requirements, and stay there for long term!!

When I explain to any instructor my work schedule, they never seem to listen. They just try to give me a long term contract and start me over at white belt.

If they never seem to listen, than don't entertain the notion of going to that dojang/school; it's your choice. You're needs must be considered by the dojang across the board; you've requirements!!

How many TKD dojang's are in where you live? Make a list of YOUR requirements!! Then, visit EVERY TKD SCHOOL that fits your requirements, and sit down and discuss everything with the CI. Watch several different classes to get an idea of what you're wanting/needing, then decide from that.

If there's not that many TKD schools where you live and they ALL offer contracts, then, as painful as this might be, looking at a different style of the MA other than TKD might be the way to go. Be warned, you'll start off as a white belt because it's a NEW STYLE and you'll be NEW!!

Please let us know how things go. Good luck...train hard!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

That is unfortunate that you haven't been able to find a school that is understanding that you want to train but also that you travel for work as well.

At my dojo we have a number of adult students that are in the same boat as you. But what we have as a membership option is lesson based and isn't time based. It is a 40 lesson membership so it is enough to cover all the lessons required to grade + a couple of lessons of the next rank on the proviso you pass your tests when they are scheduled and also when gradings are set.

That membership was designed for those who are always very busy and can't always make it to the dojo every week. So less stress for the person.

That is unfortunate that you haven't been able to find a school that is understanding that you want to train but also that you travel for work as well.

At my dojo we have a number of adult students that are in the same boat as you. But what we have as a membership option is lesson based and isn't time based. It is a 40 lesson membership so it is enough to cover all the lessons required to grade + a couple of lessons of the next rank on the proviso you pass your tests when they are scheduled and also when gradings are set.

That membership was designed for those who are always very busy and can't always make it to the dojo every week. So less stress for the person.

Solid post!!

Yes, this ^^^

My dojo and gym are the same. No lock-in contracts. You train when you can and pay for the lessons you attend. Often it works out cheaper to pay for a month in advance if you know you will be there for the whole time period.

You can find Dojo's (Dojangs!) that will allow this approach, and more often than not, your prior skills will be recognised at least to a small degree. Its worth looking around to find something you feel comfortable with.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I also travel for work. When at home I attend a Shorin Ryu club when I travel I attend a JKA Shotokan club that I only pay for the classes I attend.

I've made contact with other dojos in my normal work area so I can attend classes and pay as I go as I do with my Shotokan club. I love getting all the varied approaches even within the same system.

WildBourgMan

I also travel for work. When at home I attend a Shorin Ryu club when I travel I attend a JKA Shotokan club that I only pay for the classes I attend.

I've made contact with other dojos in my normal work area so I can attend classes and pay as I go as I do with my Shotokan club. I love getting all the varied approaches even within the same system.

How much, on an average, do you pay the JKA Shotokan club per class you attend?? I like how that's working for you when you're traveling; interesting concept!!

How much, on an average, do you pay the JKA Shotokan club per class you attend?? I like how that's working for you when you're traveling; interesting concept!!

10 dollars per class during regular class time and 20 dollars per hour for private classes.

WildBourgMan

10 dollars per class during regular class time and 20 dollars per hour for private classes.

Cool...not a bad price at all!!

You should ask around at the schools that you want to train at, and ask if its ok if you just join their classes to work out, as opposed to train and test for rank there. Try to work out a deal to pay by the month or class when you can show up, and keep your membership at the more permanent location. You might just have to eat the month that you are gone, but if that's the only way you can work it out, then you may have to go with hit.