• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The part of fitness and strength training.

Fitness and strength is one of the many beneficial results of training in martial arts. In the average training session most of the time is focussed on learning and perfecting techniques. There is very little time for specific exercise for building muscle and strength. Typically a session may include up to 30min of stretching, push-ups and sit-ups and leg raises at the beginning.

What part should strength training and muscular development have in a martial arts training session? Is it necessary to have a separate trainng routine or is the workout at the beginning sufficient?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

While it is certainly important, we generally consider hojo undo (supplementary training) to be something students should do on their own time. Class is for learning material and working with partners, and the more time you spend exercising, the less time you spend training. In the kids' and family classes, we do spend 5-10 minutes on it, because kids aren't very good at taking it upon themselves to stay fit and strong. The teen and adult classes very rarely include any supplemental fitness/strength work, except when Sensei is teaching how to use some kind of equipment, or how to do some particular exercise. Every now and then, we will do a 15-20 minute workout just because Sensei feels like we need it, but it's very rare.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I also agree that it is something that should be included in training outside of the dojo. If what is done as part of the dojo training session is not enough, should it be done separately at a different time? Personally my solo training consists nearly entirely of karate techniques(basics, kata, etc).

We do fitness and strength exercises for warm-up (15 min or so) but unless I try to do more on my own my fitness doesn't improve.

We do have a special workout once a week where we focus more on fitness but that alone isn't enough either.

I spent many years at a school which didn't do specific fitness training. We'd get some benefit in the methods of exercise portion of the workouts, but for the most part I felt like I was an out of shape person who may have been technically proficient.

I think the fitness training should be included in workouts but not at the expense of learning MA techniques.

I think this comes down to what your training goals are and where you are in you training. In general to get a good level of fitness you really do need to supplement training with both cardio and strength training as 30 minutes every couple of days is not enough generally and eats into training time.

I would say there are two groups of people who benefit from a greater allocation of fitness. Firstly those who are competing or are interested in the sport side of things. Naturally you've got to be fit to do this.

The second group are beginners, especially if this is the first physical activity they have done before. Though general kata and sparring practice etc will raise the fitness level, it helps to have a base level of fitness. People who are used to being sedentary most likely do not know how to train or structure a workout so it can help to introduce them to basic calisthenics in class.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Training for sport or competition is not my goal, but the importance of having some strength to put into the techniques is undeniable. For many, myself included, and time is something I must work with. Do you included it in your training or do you find time to do a separate workout? I'm still trying to see how I can do it. I already do 45-60min of just karate daily.

Tuesday night's class for us is strength and conditioning work, it's a no gi night with weights, heavy bag work and full force punces and kicks on the pads. I love these sessions, I always come out with a great sweat on. That said, I do some outside of the dojo too. I like to use the TRX style straps and also do some weights and work the free-standing bag I have in the garage and I also put in 20-30 min kata and kihon practice afterwards.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

• 1 month later...

Everyone has an idea of what martial arts training should entail for them personally.

I've seen many dojos that do a lot (relatively speaking) of conditioning. I'm not a fan of it, but if that's what people really want, then by all means.

I want minimal emphasis on conditioning during my MA instruction. I signed up to study karate. There is conditioning going on any time you move, but I feel the conditioning should be a side effect, if you will, of the training.

I look at the dojo as a school - the techniques/sparring/etc. are the classroom lessons, and the strength and conditioning are the homework. If you don't do your homework, your class work is going to suffer.

I have absolutely no problem with people's interest in cardio kickboxing. It's a great workout. But IMO, it's a workout, not formal MA training.

My dojo does offer kumite conditioning class at regular intervals as part of the curriculum. It's not mandatory. I haven't attended one yet as I've only joined a few months ago and am waiting to earn my sparring gear.

My previous dojo in the bad old days didn't offer this, but the CI taught cardio kickboxing classes seperately. His karate students could attend for almost free; I think it was something like $3 a class/5 classes for $10. I did it for a few months leading up to my shodan test and gave him something like an extra $30 in my tuition every month. It wasn't a set price for the serious students who helped out in various ways; we offered him money.

I think it would depend on what needs to be developed. If your technique is good but you lack strength, then strength training would be more of a priority. Try to identify weaknesses and bring them up.

This is a great answer. You should work to improve your weak areas while not forgetting to work on your strong ones.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate