• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial myths

My favorite is that being black belt you are undefeatable.

My belief is there is always someone that trains better, that has more natural talent, that there body works better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to, "never wash your belt" was "never let your belt touch the ground" (as if it were part of the U.S. flag code, or something). I talked my students when one of them brought it up & asked they intended to do push-ups in uniform without their belt touching the ground.

I think the intent of this one was to keep kids from dragging it on the ground behind them as they left class. :evil: Instead, they should just tell them not to drag their belt on the ground. :D

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

In addition to, "never wash your belt" was "never let your belt touch the ground" (as if it were part of the U.S. flag code, or something). I talked my students when one of them brought it up & asked they intended to do push-ups in uniform without their belt touching the ground.

I think the intent of this one was to keep kids from dragging it on the ground behind them as they left class. :evil: Instead, they should just tell them not to drag their belt on the ground. :D

I fell for that hook, line, and sinker when I was a kid. I heard it from OUTSIDE of the Hombu, and not from Soke and/or Dai-Soke. One of my Sempai's finally heard me speak that to another student, and set me straight. Back then, I was as clueless as the day was long!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Heh! Never let your bet touch the ground - I once saw a guy who was adamant that your belt should not touch the ground dragging his new black belt across a tarmac carpark under his foot to "age" it. I made sure he saw me while he was doing this and strangely he never mentioned it to the kyu grades again.

Which brings us to another myth, that only mega-experienced black belts have a piece of grey, frayed, chewed-up string around their uwagi. My classmate mentioned above was a typical case against this. The belt was almost pristine under the knot yet the back of the belt as tied was like dish-rag. I asked him why he did it and he said it was to show the amount of training done since getting the belt. He must have been really bad at karate to fall on his backside so many times in the year since it was awarded though... :roll:

Heh! Never let your bet touch the ground - I once saw a guy who was adamant that your belt should not touch the ground dragging his new black belt across a tarmac carpark under his foot to "age" it. I made sure he saw me while he was doing this and strangely he never mentioned it to the kyu grades again.

Which brings us to another myth, that only mega-experienced black belts have a piece of grey, frayed, chewed-up string around their uwagi. My classmate mentioned above was a typical case against this. The belt was almost pristine under the knot yet the back of the belt as tied was like dish-rag. I asked him why he did it and he said it was to show the amount of training done since getting the belt. He must have been really bad at karate to fall on his backside so many times in the year since it was awarded though... :roll:

I'm always amazed when I see someone who's been a BB for a year with an ancient belt. I always wonder (sometimes out loud) why they would repeatedly throw themselves on rocks to get their belt like that. :P

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I'm always amazed when I see someone who's been a BB for a year with an ancient belt. I always wonder (sometimes out loud) why they would repeatedly throw themselves on rocks to get their belt like that. :P

They're incomplete in their totality as a MAist!! It's as though being a BB isn't enough of an accomplishment. They try to possess a position that they've not yet achieved through honest means.

I'm only speculating.

Imho!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

They're incomplete in their totality as a MAist!! It's as though being a BB isn't enough of an accomplishment. They try to possess a position that they've not yet achieved through honest means.

I'm only speculating.

Imho!

That's what I think, as well.

In Kukki-TKD, the standard is to wear a new-looking belt (with no rank stripes) along with a new-looking dobok. GM LEE Kyu Hyung, former president of Kukkiwon wears his belts until they are white & quite faded. He's considered an exception to the rule. :D

I'm only speculating.

Imho!

So you mean I shouldn't have dragged my belt behind my car for a week? Who'd have thought it? :lol:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius