• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial myths

Myths and misconceptions about martial arts have been around for as long as Martians arts themselves. Many of these have been around for so long that it is difficult to know where and with whom they originated. I thought it would be an interesting discussion to share the ones commonly and less commonly heard.

For me the strangest one is the supposed fact that people who are trained in martial arts to certain level (blackbelt etc..) must inform their local legal authorities or police. What is strange to me is that this myth is still believed in this day and age, although it has been shown false several times.

If you know of a stranger myth or misconception about a martial art, please share it and how you think it got started

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder where that one came from. I don't wash mine each time but I do wash it. It's vital in my area especially because of the weather and high humidity.
There's a story about old practitioners only receiving one belt. Through training the belt would get so dirty and change colors, eventually turning black, and that is when you knew you were a black belt. As far as I know, the myth comes from there.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Very interesting. I heard a somewhat less far fetched explanation according to which washing a belt was bad. Before belts were made with the quality and durability standards common nowadays, washing a belt would slowly deteriorate it. Black belts and especially ones with embroidery were prone to this so people avoided washing them for that reason.

Any other m&ms?( myths and misconceptions?) perhaps weirder ones? What it the strangest you have ever heard?

Let me see here are some of what I've heard:

1. Your nose is pushed up into your brain and you die, when you get punched in the nose by a martial artist.

2. A Black Belt is a Master.

3. A black Belt isn't a Master until he's defeated his teacher.

4. Karate is an esoteric religion.

5. Karateka can beat anyone up.

6. You can't hurt a ninja.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The belt washing one really gets to me--I actually made a "how to wash your belt" video on YouTube for that reason!

Another M&M that gets me is "karate was developed by farmers to defend against samurai."

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I heard that one too, until I read about Okinawan history. The truth is karate was developed by Okinawan samurai(nobility, royals etc) who later were forced to become farmers and fishermen to make a living after losing their status when the Japanese annexed them. They just continued to train in secret. For example, Funakoshi was of high birth.

In fact nearly all known okinawan master is of noble, even royal decent. These men were often sent to China to be educated by the best teachers in every subject as well as martial arts.

The belt washing one really gets to me--I actually made a "how to wash your belt" video on YouTube for that reason!

Another M&M that gets me is "karate was developed by farmers to defend against samurai."

What...that's not true??

Ah, man!!

:spitlaugh:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There's always the classic "never wash your belt".

Although i believe it depends on the brand of the belt itself. All the belts I have owned or currently own; the companies advise that you cannot wash your belt.

But have seen some brands that are okay with you washing the belts.