• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

nearly threwup

ozm8

Is it normal to feel sick when exercising? pretty much we did this exercise called suicide runs and what you do is, you run half way across the court touch the ground and back, touch the ground again then you run all the way across and do 3 situps and back.

That 4 time and each time you double the sit ups but for some reason about 5-10 after we finished it and i had water i started to feel really sick.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is normal when a person's body is not accustomed to or in the process of adapting itself to a level of activity that is more physically demanding than before. It also happens when people try to do to much too soon. Besides that it depends on the individual's level of fitness, general health, age and a whole lot of factors that only the person concerned can tell.

In my current dojo, there have been students who threw up, collapsed from exhaustion and one even blacked out before the end of the warm up preceding the regular 2hours of training. This includes me when I first joined two years ago. With much pushing from my instructor and months of overall aches and soreness I enventually was able to keep up. I still find it tough but now I can manage without feeling sick or dizzy.

Sounds like a hydration issue to me.

On days you train at the dojo make sure you drink a little extra water. During water break do not gulp down the water! If you feel nauseous it is likely you're too dehydrated or taking in too much water too quickly. If you're dehydrated and take a lot of water your body can actually vomit that water back out. Instead, take smaller mouthfuls only. You'll replenish your water more slowly, thus avoiding nausea.

Ways to recognize dehydration: dizziness, nausea, fatigue, dry mouth (obviously), thick sticky saliva, headache, muscle cramps, and dry skin.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

In my current dojo, there have been students who threw up, collapsed from exhaustion and one even blacked out before the end of the warm up preceding the regular 2hours of training. This includes me when I first joined two years ago. With much pushing from my instructor and months of overall aches and soreness I enventually was able to keep up. I still find it tough but now I can manage without feeling sick or dizzy.

I'm all for ramping up training to increase the student's level of cardio & physical ability. However, allowing students to train so hard during warm-up that they vomit is, to me, not acceptable. There must be a line drawn where you're encouraging students to pre-hydrate and participate...and pushing them too far too fast. It is the instructor's responsibility to ensure student safety and if this blacking out & vomiting is commonplace, well, I have an issue with it. Even if your instructors rationalize it by saying "they're adults" it is still their responsibility to stop them or slow them down. Properly adapting to higher levels of activity has to be done reasonably and with a natural speed according to the individual's abilities.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

If it's a one time thing or only infrequently when you've been training really hard, I really wouldn't worry. I once threw up in front of about 40 people after doing hill sprints on the sand dunes.

It'll happen less and less as you get fitter. You also learn to recognise your limits and stop before you reach this point.

If it happens a lot, standard advice applies: go see a doctor.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Once or twice is nothing to worried about because afterwards it is possible to prevent. If it happens every time to the same person, then something is wrong. Water intake is very important and also salt. Both of these are at everyone's disposal in my dojo and we are all urged to take as much as needed. The sensei often stops those who are not getting enough and tells them to drink or have a pinch of salt. On a regular training session of 2hours I usually drink 2-4litres of water. This might seem extreme but it is necessary for the level of activity.

Everyone here as given good advice. It's no big deal on occasions of high-intensity exercise. It should not be frequent. You can do too much to be healthy.

If it continues, or is out of pace with your exertion, see an MD.

Lastly, there are very few reasons to routinely drill to throw up. Training for a fight, maybe. Academy or basic, maybe. Routine, hobby level training, no way. Don't be afraid to take a seat.

Did you have a big meal right before training?? Ingredients can trigger an upset stomach while training. Some things to ponder. I hope you'll be ok!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!