• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does Martial Arts Teach Kids?

No amount of time spent in martial arts can give students qualities of character of which the seeds have not been sown at home. A sensei may be seen as a father figure, but he is not a father and must not be expected to take the duties and responsibilities of a father. Training in the dojo can only improve and develop what should already exist through the efforts of responsibLe parents.

I absolutely agree with you here. I think there are some good examples out there of Martial Arts changing some people, but I think those are examples of people who want to change, and that makes a difference, too.

Agh yes BUT if we place so much emphasis on the parents what's the point. Why should we bother? Some parents simply won't.

Parents can be the obstacle to children learning. There's no much can be done about it because....well....I'm not the parent!

:)

The best we can hope for is that the student follows the class protocols and obeys the rules in class. Outside of class, it becomes more difficult. I can preach and preach about respect and discipline in the classroom, but if the child isn't preached it at home, then the 2 or 3 hours I get to spend with him a week isn't going to be as helpful. The parents have to be involved. The best we can hope for is being a positive role model of how the kids should act, and hopefully they figure that out and try to emulate us. That is what I hope for.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic