• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does Martial Arts Teach Kids?

Most people will respond to clearly stated rules and even more so if these are written for all to see. Students should know from the beginning what is expected of them and parents ought to know their place. If they come to the dojo they are guests and observers who must never interrupt or disrupt the instructor. If they do this, children will emulate their disruptive and disrespectful behaviours thereby ruining any positive attitudes the dojo environment is supposed to cultivate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No amount of time spent in martial arts can give students qualities of character of which the seeds have not been sown at home. A sensei may be seen as a father figure, but he is not a father and must not be expected to take the duties and responsibilities of a father. Training in the dojo can only improve and develop what should already exist through the efforts of responsibLe parents.

I absolutely agree with you here. I think there are some good examples out there of Martial Arts changing some people, but I think those are examples of people who want to change, and that makes a difference, too.

The desire to change something in oneself somehow is what drives people to start and continue to train. Martial arts changes only those who want to change and have the patience to do it.

Do children have that ability within themselves to do that? Maybe! Parents dictate quite a lot, leaving children without a choice of their own.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

No amount of time spent in martial arts can give students qualities of character of which the seeds have not been sown at home. A sensei may be seen as a father figure, but he is not a father and must not be expected to take the duties and responsibilities of a father. Training in the dojo can only improve and develop what should already exist through the efforts of responsibLe parents.

I absolutely agree with you here. I think there are some good examples out there of Martial Arts changing some people, but I think those are examples of people who want to change, and that makes a difference, too.

Agh yes BUT if we place so much emphasis on the parents what's the point. Why should we bother? Some parents simply won't.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Agh yes BUT if we place so much emphasis on the parents what's the point. Why should we bother? Some parents simply won't.

Parents can be the obstacle to children learning. There's no much can be done about it because....well....I'm not the parent!

Thankfully most adults and parents respond to a clearly established protocol. If this is put into writing such as a letter and restated often, there will be very few problems and disruptions if any at all.

At my first dojo, anybody parents or children who could not follow rules and protocol or were disruptive were sent home. Even the registration form read in bold type, "the dojo is not a daycare". There was absolutely no tolerance for any rule braking. After parents were called to pick up there unruly or disrespectful little urchin once or twice the problems stopped one way or another, guaranteed. Parents who treat the dojo like a daycare do not appreciate being disturbed or interrupted so they either make sure their child behaves or remove him from the activity.

Thankfully most adults and parents respond to a clearly established protocol. If this is put into writing such as a letter and restated often, there will be very few problems and disruptions if any at all.

At my first dojo, anybody parents or children who could not follow rules and protocol or were disruptive were sent home. Even the registration form read in bold type, "the dojo is not a daycare". There was absolutely no tolerance for any rule braking. After parents were called to pick up there unruly or disrespectful little urchin once or twice the problems stopped one way or another, guaranteed. Parents who treat the dojo like a daycare do not appreciate being disturbed or interrupted so they either make sure their child behaves or remove him from the activity.

That's a valid and solid post, Spartacus Maximus.

Parents can be the obstacle to children learning. There's no much can be done about it because....well....I'm not the parent!

Certainly, my point though is that if we believe that nothing can be done of the parents don't I force at home then what's the point in trying to teach certain things like disciine, and respect? I have seen unruly children respond well to the instructor who lays down the law, and then respond by testing another or even their parents. The only lesson that is taught seems to be "don't mess with that one instructor" right? In the end though, I look to the future in hopes that I have planted a seed that has the potential to grow, weather te parents water it or not!

Sometimes kids go their own way and remember certain lessons, so my point is really that, I agree with the perception that you can't teach a child these things while not enforced elsewhere in their life, but a seed can survive a long time and grow later, too!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

As a teacher, you hope they learn to enjoy martial arts, learn gross and fine motor skills, respect for each other.

Different kids have different skill, different learning curves, etc. So not all kids will learn this to perfection of course.

However, what I notice here in the Netherlands is that childres do not really have any strict upbringing (there are plenty exceptions though!). So often respect has to be taught from 0, which is a shame (and difficult to achieve given only 1 or 2 hours a week).

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi