• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does Martial Arts Teach Kids?

I agree there can be overly aggressive parents and overly rude parents. This can be found in any and all aspects of childrens' activities, though. We've all been there watching the travesty of an adult going over the top at a children's sports game.

For me, the martial arts teaches the parents that their child indeed has the potential to become more athletic, more focused, and more prone to thinking before acting.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this to be a very interesting topic...

Many schools teach different ways, not just different styles but with more focus on fun, or discipline, or sport/competition or self defense! I personally try and make it fun but I always have a hard time balancing because I'm geared to make the foundation of class discipline, respect, and self awareness!

Martial arts in general teach respect, honor, integrity, manners and many other great mental lessons. This is what martial arts teaches the kids I train. I try to never leave a class without saying something about respect and what not. Me: "Why do we bow class", students: "to show respect, sir"! For me this is the focus in class, I focus on a less sport like, real self defense kind of class at times, I focus on traditional techniques at times. But I'm always focusing On Respect and discipline regardless of the other lessons. I recieved an awesome email from a parent about how my class has affected their son, didn't mention how his kicks look, or how we'll he's kicking but. Nope, only about his attitude, and his behavior. Was a great feeling considering I have been teaching on my own for only 5 months.

Having high energy is a great lesson i teach. Having a loud voice as we'll. It teaches kids to speak up for themselves. Also my belt tests are physical and teach them the hard work needed to accomplish some things, and of course as I said above, the mental cultivation of the person is the biggest achievement in kids karate. We can teach kids to protect themselves we'll, but I take the angle that to remove oneself from the situation (when possible) is the best way to protect yourself.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Got to say some great responses here!

Funny how it's "aggressive parents and overly rude parents" that cause a lot of the problems. I know in my Dojo we kindly ask the parents to leave in our kid and teen/adult classes after the first few intro sessions. They are invited back to watch belt promotion tests, but that's about it.

Hawkmoon, also had a great point with a MA coach being the parent, and creating a bullying environment.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

Funny how it's "aggressive parents and overly rude parents" that cause a lot of the problems. I know in my Dojo we kindly ask the parents to leave in our kid and teen/adult classes after the first few intro sessions. They are invited back to watch belt promotion tests, but that's about it.

Hawkmoon, also had a great point with a MA coach being the parent, and creating a bullying environment.

Yes I would have to agree about the way parents can be, I think this is often true add many sporting events as well. My kids are involved in soccer and cheerleading and I can tell you I see a lot of the issues with the Parents.

I do however, disagree with not allowing the parents and for the children's class especially. As a parent, I would not be as comfortable paying for something I could not view to see what my kid is learning. I teach with an open door policy and I encourage parents to stay and view their children hard work and class material. I think this happens to be one of the key points that keeps us successful at keeping students. I also have seen parents that help their kids out at home, because some of the athletic techniques we do as adults are very complicated for children. It's a great way to give them something to do together. I'm definitely not cutting down your place for doing it, I'm just saying it would not be a preference of mine to do so and offering insight as to why, take care.

Yes I would have to agree about the way parents can be, I think this is often true add many sporting events as well. My kids are involved in soccer and cheerleading and I can tell you I see a lot of the issues with the Parents.

I do however, disagree with not allowing the parents and for the children's class especially. As a parent, I would not be as comfortable paying for something I could not view to see what my kid is learning. I teach with an open door policy and I encourage parents to stay and view their children hard work and class material. I think this happens to be one of the key points that keeps us successful at keeping students. I also have seen parents that help their kids out at home, because some of the athletic techniques we do as adults are very complicated for children. It's a great way to give them something to do together. I'm definitely not cutting down your place for doing it, I'm just saying it would not be a preference of mine to do so and offering insight as to why, take care.

I tell the kids who turn around and look at their parents. Question do your parents go to school with you? They all say no, so I tell them not to look at their parents.

Teachers are always learning

I tell the kids who turn around and look at their parents. Question do your parents go to school with you? They all say no, so I tell them not to look at their parents.

We are lucky at my school, because the facility is set up in such a way that we have a separate viewing room for the parents. Our workout room has a security camera in it, and in the viewing room, there is a projector and screen that the parents can sit and watch the class from. No parent feedback during class, and no children distracted by parents during class. I know this isn't feasible for every school, but its something to consider if the school can manage it.

That sounds ideal. Parents can view their kids through glass here, which is a pretty decent solution as well in my book.

When someone mentioned a deadline, he said: "You’ve got a deadline. Well, I do too: death." He smiled. "It tends to insert itself into our considerations."

No amount of time spent in martial arts can give students qualities of character of which the seeds have not been sown at home. A sensei may be seen as a father figure, but he is not a father and must not be expected to take the duties and responsibilities of a father. Training in the dojo can only improve and develop what should already exist through the efforts of responsibLe parents.

We are lucky at my school, because the facility is set up in such a way that we have a separate viewing room for the parents. Our workout room has a security camera in it, and in the viewing room, there is a projector and screen that the parents can sit and watch the class from. No parent feedback during class, and no children distracted by parents during class. I know this isn't feasible for every school, but its something to consider if the school can manage it.

I really like the 1-way glass/or CCTV setup, My first dojo was like that as a kid. I hated being watched as I was shy and that helped a ton.

@Luther It's really a unwritten rule by the parents themselves. We are a nonprofit and use a school wrestling room so seating is very limited. when parents wanted to talk they went into the hallway. Being a High school and all, most parents decide not to stick around in the hallways as the local sport team comes off the field. new parents see the old ones leaving so it became the common practice.

"I also have seen parents that help their kids out at home, because some of the athletic techniques we do as adults are very complicated for children. It's a great way to give them something to do together. "

Ugh, this can be good or bad. I've seen parents/siblings uncorrect a technique "because they know it better/saw it on TV" but have zero training. It can be helpful if that parent or sibling trains as well however.

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

I really like the 1-way glass/or CCTV setup, My first dojo was like that as a kid. I hated being watched as I was shy and that helped a ton.

@Luther It's really a unwritten rule by the parents themselves. We are a nonprofit and use a school wrestling room so seating is very limited. when parents wanted to talk they went into the hallway. Being a High school and all, most parents decide not to stick around in the hallways as the local sport team comes off the field. new parents see the old ones leaving so it became the common practice.

"I also have seen parents that help their kids out at home, because some of the athletic techniques we do as adults are very complicated for children. It's a great way to give them something to do together. "

Ugh, this can be good or bad. I've seen parents/siblings uncorrect a technique "because they know it better/saw it on TV" but have zero training. It can be helpful if that parent or sibling trains as well however.

You know it also depends on what type of class you run or are a part of I think. As I read the part about being distracted by the parents and being behind glass I thought about a situation I had happen.

I was teaching and a parent started to speak to their child, in sort of a "coaching my kid in a sport" type of way. We're not really sport based, but I got it. I teach as I was taught to teach and am still trying to find my personal identity as an instructor, been only teaching on my own for going on 6 months now. I was taught very high energy and loud dominating voice, I just turned up my volume to take control from the parent, didn't need to say anything to the parent or student, just took control.

I teach at a rec center so separate room is not an option at the moment. Hopefully I will be that successful one day but I'm just starting out. I hear you about the parents helping at home thing but this far I have yet to see any issues, of course I also have videos on my website for training at home and I have had a good deal of positive feedback on there use, I'm sure it helps with that. In the end a separate room where they can watch would be pretty cool though.