• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What does Martial Arts Teach Kids?

I’m sure almost everyone seen videos of very young kids sparring on YouTube, and like me, never put much thought into it. A while ago an acquaintance of mine posted one of these videos. The video was of two kids, age around 5, practicing Taekwondo at a guess. They did not have the control to land anything on each other. In the background you hear the instructors and parents having a good laugh… It was a cute video after all.

What left an impression on me is what this acquaintance added to the post. It went something along the lines of: I wonder why we teach kids aggression at such an early age, when using the mind there is almost never a reason to use your hands. This made me ponder for a while, is this really what someone outside of martial arts thinks of us? We act and don't think?

(Note: The acquaintance had no Idea I practice and assist in teaching Martial Arts)

So, let's assume you were in my place, how would you react or reply?

Goju Ryu - Shodan

My MA Blog: http://gojublog.com

Personal Blog: http://zenerth.tumblr.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first saw children practicing a martial art, as a kid myself, I thought: Wow they're cool. I probably couldn't beat them in a fight."

As an adult I saw children doing martial arts and was impressed at some of their skill level. I've seen many adults that don't have the control nor technique some of those seven-year-olds displayed.

A very close friend of mine saw these videos and thought these kids were super tough. But even he saw the control the children had. To me, its all about personal perception and the viewer's worldview. If they're predisposed to hate all violence then they'll perceive all MA to be violence and aggression. The wiser someone is, the more they're likely to realize the children aren't being taught aggression.

Yet its situations like this where we as martial artists are practically invited to open up a dialogue. To that person who spoke about aggression I would simply explain the concept of kime. After all, how many young martial artists are sent to juvenile hall? How many young karateka have been put in front of a judge for being bullies? Personally I've never heard of a single case. (Although with the population as it is, there could be a few.) Its because martial arts teaches control. Control over ourselves, our actions, and our responses to violence. :)

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I would have told them that, yes, I am creating an army of tiny, blood-thirsty monsters. You can see two of my most ferocious creations here (if you're logged into Facebook): https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=918109418234459

:D

In all seriousness, violence is an intent as much as it is an action. When we teach kids martial arts, we teach how to do violent things, but we do not teach the intent to BE violent. In fact, it is by going through hardships and pain in training that they learn humility and restraint.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I dont think the purpose of children's karate is to create little warriors.

It's good to teach some basic self-defense skills. The first thing we teach kids starting their first night is how to get away and run to safety if someone tries to grab you-- and that's probably the most practical and useful thing we teach them in the entire curriculum. But think the more valuable things taken away from modern kids' programs are the development of concentration, body coordination, movement memory, and how to deal with failure, set-backs, and slow progress towards a long term goal.

I dont think the purpose of children's karate is to create little warriors.

It's good to teach some basic self-defense skills. The first thing we teach kids starting their first night is how to get away and run to safety if someone tries to grab you-- and that's probably the most practical and useful thing we teach them in the entire curriculum. But think the more valuable things taken away from modern kids' programs are the development of concentration, body coordination, movement memory, and how to deal with failure, set-backs, and slow progress towards a long term goal.

Great answer!

For me, the most important thing to teach is self discipline and perseverance. With that then they are set up much better to succeed both within martial arts and outside it.

There was actually an article on this the other day:

The principal dancer at the English National Ballet says many of today's pupils lack the discipline to succeed.

Tamara Rojo told Radio Times magazine that children were often praised for quick results rather than hard work.

"We live in a society that rewards fast success based on little talent or commitment, which is transient and a dangerous place to be," she said.

"Do we want to promote instant success and instant failure, or do we want to promote self-esteem and hard work?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32195063

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I wouldn't react or reply!!

Why? Those who don't truly understand the MA, imho, just say the darnest things, from time to time.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have a saying from a wise man from a long time ago that goes like this: The wise and experienced has no use for the opinions of fools and the ignorant.

The potential benefits children and youth can gain from martial arts are many. As far as aggression is concerned, it is neither good or bad. What counts is when, where and how it is channelled. Martial arts as well as competitive sports teach children to put agression to constructive use.

If one were to judge by that physical aspect alone, it could also be said that Rugby, Hockey or other such sports teach kids to be aggressive. Regardless of the activity usually the children are enjoying themselves as children do and one look at the adults on the sidelines often proves that the children are not the ones showing aggressivity. Case in point: karate/hockey/soccer moms/dads

Let's take a look at educational institutions and the docile body.

School's within our society teach kids that they need to sit still and behave to be successful. Those children who do not abide are punished until they learn to behave and act the way the rest of the children have been taught to.

A friend of mine challenged me claiming that martial arts hugely enforce the docile body. Children are taught to stand in line, be still and behave.

My retort was that martial arts teaches children the ability to move freely between the socially structured docile body, and their natural human desire of movement. The martial arts allow children the ability to move in and out of the docile body as necessary, without becoming stuck within it as many children who grow up into adults do.

Along with self defense, that is what I believe martial arts teaches kids.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

To answer the topic question directly:

MA should teach honour, respect, control, patience and confidence in ones own ability.

What MA is doing in this modern world at the moment is sadly down to poor teachers missing the point and creating a money machine (aka: dojo) and presenting parents, not the children, parents with a contest of who as the highest graded child!

But worse still, I watched a junior contest at an open a couple of years ago and watched a kid who clearly had no talent destroy his opponents.

Thats not me using a figure of speech, he truly destroyed the opposition!

An accidental heavy punch, low kick, spinning sweep ... all in a points contest with other 7-8-9 years olds!

The judges did speak with him and his coach about these indiscretions, he did get his act together, but only after the other combatants had seen him do what he did they were not so excited about fighting any-more!

The coach I later found out was his father!

So to answer the question with the way things appear today:

MA seems to be used to make better bullies!

(Not that it makes me mad or anything!

sorry rant over.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.