• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why does Green Belt have the biggest drop-out rate?

Shotokannon

Hi Everyone!

I've been doing Shotokan for about 8 months, I just got graded to Green belt and I'm told it's the hardest period for Karateka to go through, from Green to Purple is the hardest transition according to my Sensei.

I'm just wondering all you post green belts, how did you find the Experience? Do you know anyone who has dropped out after Green?

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing that a lot of people think that they're not moving fast enough up the ranks. I've noticed a lot of the younger students learn a few new things and believe they're ready for the next belt automatically. There were 3 younger (10, 10, and 11) guys in our club. They progressed pretty quickly in the beginning. They were all pretty athletic and retained things very well. However, when they all got to Orange belt, we started working them on their next kata, and we began to focus on not only knowing the moves, but knowing their meanings. One of the students could do the "choreography", but his technique was lacking, and he didn't demonstrate the true knowledge of the kata. He told our C.I. that "he was ready for his green belt because he knew his kata". Our C.I. told him that it takes more than going thru the motions to earn the next belt. Shortly after, he stopped coming. And shortly after that, his brother and cousin dropped out as well.

Also, they're starting to get into more than just basics and choreography, so some may start to realize that it's a little more difficult than they thought.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

In addition to everything jaypo said, which is spot on-- the newness is wearing off. At first it's fun and unique and novel. After 8 months to a year, the novelty is gone and you have to start digging deeper for motivation. Some people have the deeper motivation, some don't.

Unfortunately this is typical of the average person raised with today's modern consumer mentality. People want instant results for minimal effort or none at all. Most people quit when they cease to be entertained and realize that they lack the dedication and patience to continue.

I found it moderately hard but that is because it was the time i started taking karate seriously.

But I have taught a lot of students over the years and a lot of them have quit because it is getting harder for them to pass tests. Especially when they start failing more and more because they aren't using their hips correctly and not doing kihon correctly.

So they get disheartened when they realise they can't cruise through the grades like they used to.

As green belts in my dojo is 5th kyu so the middle belt. We expect them to perform all techniques + kata that are up to their rank to a high standard.

What you're referring to is what I've heard called "Green Belt Syndrome" and I had a touch of it too. It tends to manifest around the mid-point between beginner and shodan.

Basically there are two main possibilities: First, the student believes they now know it all or at least feel they can do it all if only their instructor would let them. Second, it sinks in that the years of continuous training ahead of them just aren't worth it. How I deal with it is by educating & informing them constantly. I let them know their presence in the dojo is valued and let them know the road ahead.

Ultimately the choice to stay is their own.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I'm not sure who first said it but there is an interesting stat:

For every 10,000 people that join martial arts. Half will drop out in the first 6 months.

Of those remaining about 1000 will complete a year then quit. 500 will make 2 years but only 100 will make their 3rd anniversary.

On average less than 20 of the original 10,000 will get the 1st Dan and less than 5 will get 2nd dan!

There are many reason why covered by everyone else here but it is the nature of what we do!!

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

I'm not sure who first said it but there is an interesting stat:

For every 10,000 people that join martial arts. Half will drop out in the first 6 months.

Of those remaining about 1000 will complete a year then quit. 500 will make 2 years but only 100 will make their 3rd anniversary.

On average less than 20 of the original 10,000 will get the 1st Dan and less than 5 will get 2nd dan!

There are many reason why covered by everyone else here but it is the nature of what we do!!

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've been doing Shotokan for about 8 months, I just got graded to Green belt

:o just 08 months from white to green belt?

Some Shotokan soils go from white to Green.

:karate:

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu