• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring accident with a younger opponent

Unfortunately, there are people who engage in high-risk physical activities while refusing to accept that they may be injured and refusing to take responsibility and seek to blame others. Not making any kind of provisions to prevent problems is very unwise.

In my youth and teens I have personally endured being knocked out twice, a very nasty black eye and countless sprains or bruise of varying seriousness. I was also witness to a broken nose. Despite nobody very sought to hold anyone else accountable because the instructor had a strict set of rules and a detailed policy explained to each student or their parents. In this day and age there is no such thing as being too cautious.

Martial arts training is by nature a risky and dangerous activity. It should not ever be considered a hobby and must always be approached with the most serious commitment. Treating it as anything any less serious is the surest way to get hurt and results invariably in failure one way or another. That is what training karate in its native culture for years has taught me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If the sparring rules allow full contact to the head and you were wearing protective gear, then I'd say that this was no more than an accident.

If this is still a concern then it should be addressed in the sparring rules at your dojo. Doesn't sound like you did anything inappropriate, however.

I was sparring on Monday (Kyokushin rules, no hand techniques to the head) and a new student who appears to have had more of a Shotokan background accidentally tried to punch me in the face. Contact was very light and he apologized...my response was that I should have blocked it. I ended up doing the same later to someone else (old TKD sparring habit)...stuff happens.

Accidents do happen, as many here have said. Especially during MA training, and with every single possible action by the CI/School/Governing Body to prevent/lessen said incidents to occur.

Sure, you could've faced some legal actions, but, imho, I don't believe your actions were deliberate or of malice intent. While you two are comfortable with each other, and controlled techniques are a must in training, accidents happen. She might of came up higher at the last second and/or simultaneously as your hammer fist was approaching her head.

The main thing, imho, is that she'll be fine, and back on the floor before she knows it. Doctor's are being cautious, of course, because concussions are not taken lightly.

Adults and teens engage in Kumite quite often, but, precautions are very important due to many possibilities and always under the strict guidance of the CI. Even then, nothing is guaranteed that an accident won't happen again.

Having said all of that, when she comes back, don't lighten up on her because that's not conducive with learning. Albeit, safety is foremost to all things!!

Don't beat up yourself, that won't change what's already happened. Learn from it, both of you, and continue to train together!! Btw, I engage in Kumite with ALL of my students, no matter the age, and no matter the level of experience!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!