• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Looking for Extra Large Karate Gi

Kusotare

Hello,

I have a lovely new student who is keen and wants to buy a gi.

He's a rather large chap (although not too tall) and we can't find any gi here in the UK that would fit.

Knowing that the states probably has more options, can anyone recommend an international supplier who can ship a Karate gi (preferably medium weight) for someone that is 5'10" with a 52" waist.

I look forward to hearing from you.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm afraid what you'll wind up experiencing is a gi that fits around the waist but that is much too long. A tailer can work wonders if you're willing to pay a lot.

What works for many instructors I know is having a properly-fitting gi be the reward.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Hello,

I have a lovely new student who is keen and wants to buy a gi.

He's a rather large chap (although not too tall) and we can't find any gi here in the UK that would fit.

Knowing that the states probably has more options, can anyone recommend an international supplier who can ship a Karate gi (preferably medium weight) for someone that is 5'10" with a 52" waist.

I look forward to hearing from you.

K.

You can go to Meijin, get separates. I know they do have large sizes, If you wanted something. Ebay is another option.

He will probably have to do separates - possibly size 9 pants

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

I believe that even a size 9 wouldn't help a student with a 52" waist, and that that size would have really long pant legs overall! In that, one could get two size 6 gi's and sew them together...and I've seen this done before.

Or have a custom made gi!

Either won't be cheap cost wise!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If you buy a gi that is way to big he can adjust it by getting it altered.

But as sensei8 said maybe get a custom made gi. Will take a bit longer to get delivered but will be worth it. Maybe call up the local suppliers in the UK to see if they can do it?

Just another idea..I know they make clothing patterns for karate gi's. My sister made me one years ago, but used poor material and it didn't make it thru one class! lol Hours of work wasted.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

If you make one from a pattern, or have it made custom, make sure all your seams are triple stitched so it'll last through a vigorous class!

And don't forget the GUSSETT! That's the large diamond shape found in the crouch area of the pants...very important!!

:spitlaugh:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I always have to buy my doboks a couple sizes big, and then have the sleeves and pants hemmed up. If you check companies like Century online, most will have a sizing chart. Don't worry about the heights, though, look for the waist size. Get the appropriate waist size, and then go to the tailor with it.

Ichiban international https://www.ichibaninternational.com do nice custom made Hirota gi's, although at the best part of £200 it's a big outlay for a new student. Blitz do up to a size 8 in their silver tournament gi at £55 it's a great price for a great gi, might be more economical to buy that and have it altered.

Mo.

Be water, my friend.