Nidan Melbourne

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a coincidence that we had just been discussing this set of moves in class not 2 hours ago!

I dont believe it's the original intention of the kata, but clearly it works and is an excellent application to keep in mind. It makes a lot of sense really.

I've sent the video to my instructors to see what they think about it.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

I can't really speak to how well it fits the intentions of the kata, since that isn't a kata that is part of my system. The whole "jumping to get back to where you started" could legitimately be why those jumps are in that kata, but there are other ways they could have adjusted the kata to make that happen without adding the jumps. Iain's application certainly seems reasonable, to me. I have also heard of it being applied as a jumping neck-crank from behind your attacker, which also seems reasonable. Someone I know who studies Onaga Sensei's Shinjinbukan system insists that it is a form of evasion, which I suppose it is, but it doesn't really make sense to me to use it in such a way.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Sorry, I just don't agree with Ian's interpretation of the Chinte Hops. However, that's the beauty of Oyo: it's your OWN interpretation, therefore, it's Ian's interpretation!!

Having said that, I've not agreed with any interpretations of the Chinto Hops!! Explanations pale, imho, to these Hops, imho.

What Ian did by backing up was more agreeable, thus, it made much more since and kept it more compacted.

Imho!!

And no, I don't have a better explanation, because I don't even like what our Soke and Dai-Soke spoke towards the Hops either!!

It's, the Hops, are so strange, imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree the Hops are very strange but whatever reason they were added must have been kept a secret of the person that created it.
Maybe. That secret could have been that they didn't like the fact that the form didn't end where it started, and he fixed it by adding the hops. That's what I'm inclined to think, anyway.

But, that aside, I think Abernethy has come with some sound techniques to give some sense as to the "why" of the movements. I do think, however, that perhaps there are some moves in forms that just might not have a "why" to them.

I had heard that the hops were added to ensure that you ended at the same spot were you began...I don't buy that either!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

What I was taught, and what I teach, are the hops are there to make you think creatively for bunkai.

Edit: spelling.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I had heard that the hops were added to ensure that you ended at the same spot were you began...I don't buy that either!!

What is your explanation for this move Bob? What did your Soke and Dai Soke teach?

(I have to say, watching this kata for the first time, this is a very weird movement!)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Maybe the guy that developed the Chinte kata had to pee real bad? :D

OK, I'm not sure if Chinte is based on the Okinawan Chinto, but here's a look at the Chinto that I do (a little different, but close) just as a comparison...no hops.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.