• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The short answer to your question is yes. Tai Chi is a martial art and it has martial applications. However, I cannot tell you what they are because I don't have any experience with that art. I would suggest doing a search on Google or Youtube for some combat applications if you are interested in what those techniques would look like.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Both, One exercise that's been proven beneficial.

Inca Warriors - Warriors of the Inca people were brainwashed for many years to forget fear completely until they became fearless to everything and then they were officially a warrior.

I agree that it does offer both, but its important to find a teacher that teaches the applications. There is a string of Tai Chi out there that focus solely on the exercise and therapeutic aspects of the style, so finding the right teacher is important to learn the applications.

A close family member of mine is going to try out a Tai Chi class in our local area. Its the only one so there is little choice. I'm going to check it out with her and see where it goes, I'll post about the experience here.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• 3 months later...

Did you try the Tai Chi class Cathal?

In the UK at least, Tai Chi has been pigeonholed as a gentle exercise for pensioners and hippies. I have tried four or five groups and none of them teach it as a martial art, most were hostile to any talk of martial applications as it frightened some of the older members. I suspect there is a good class at the local Chinese Community Centre as there seems to be a fair few younger men training there but I don't think I could learn Cantonese well enough to enrol.

Tai Chi has plenty of combat applications. You just need a teacher who's willing to show them and drill them with you.

I took a class at the local community college for a couple of years, mostly to accompany my mother there. Whilst most of the people were older, the teacher knew I was interested in the proper applications so took time to show me and work with me on them.

Plenty of applications on YouTube:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 1 month later...