• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who is Karateka?

Iskrax

I think what you're asking here, is what makes a GOOD Karateka, which IMO is a much different story to putting your suit on and stepping on a mat, which is what makes any Karateka.

I think a GOOD Karateka is passionate, driven, self motivated and above all, always willing to learn and improve =]

I saw the question like you. I'll add that a karateka is someone dedicated to keep training even when their body is tired. To keep training and push their limits. As well, someone who is humble enough to not allow themselves to be provoked into violence.

:karate:

Yes Indeed!

I find it slightly annoying when I see so many white belts, or even green belts like myself, who just will not put the effort in!

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It is important not to forget the beginners mind; what comes easy over time was once hard, it is easy to mistake confusion, or finding something challenging for a lack of effort in a beginner. Sometimes the struggle, or lack there of, we see is because the struggle is not where we are looking for it.

Anyway; I suppose the question is like what is the difference between a Judo Player, and what is a Judo-ka? One could make the argument the player just evolves the game plans that work for him, where as a judo-ka seeks to have a deeper technical understanding of Judo as a whole. However, one could argue that these are simply expressions of the same thing. One is no less than the other; they both have a love of Judo, it is just expressed differently.

A Karate-ka is one who participates in karate sincerely; that they are engaged with their karate in a way that is not superficial. When one lacks that connection with the reality of their karate, then it is not their path.

R. Keith Williams

Even those who don't practice Karate seriously are STILL Karateka!! Intentions don't define a Karateka!! Join, then quit, after one day, that person is, for that one day, a Karateka!! Therefore, degrees do vary!!

Imho!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The proper definition of Karateka is a Karate Practitioner, so anyone, from the guy who looks up videos on youtube and emulates that, to very high Dan grades are Karateka IMHO.

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu